Thursday, October 7, 2010

JAPS SERGIO (BASS TALKS)


(The BASSISTS Edition)

(Japs Sergio bassist for Rivermaya)

Another undisputed bass guitar player of all times on our rock and roll scene is Japs Sergio of the mainstreaming band Rivermaya. He's apt to share his genius about bass stuff or something.

Meanwhile Japs Sergio thought that he must have made the right choice about it. It's not all about comfort zone, wherein he is at ease about playing such instrument. It's all about the power of the right choice he is doing here.

Rivermaya has been his jump-start at taking bass at the crux of his life. “I started taking the bass seriously when I joined Rivermaya. ‘Di talaga ako bahista before,” he started. It couldn't be his actual cup of tea but as long as it sweetens his real one, it's all about rock and roll now, and it's all for Riveramaya, he clears, “actually, up to now I don’t really consider myself as a true bass player. I’m the guy who plays the bass for Rivermaya. Labo ba? Anyway, that’s how I see it."

Now, it's all about him and what he does to the band that matters, beside the brotherly camaraderie they used to share in and out of the band. Doing his oomph to the band, and it's almost done. “I’m part of the rhythm section. Together with the drums we give the music the oomph it needs, the body, the low end, the glue to all the beautiful madness going on,” he asserted.

For the trying hard and wannabees just do the move for these simple things in a base, “keep it steady and simple,” is all it takes to gain more out of less.


BASE TALKS

Who are the bassist/s that you look for inspiration?
I’m a Paul McCartney fan. Sino pa ba? Colin Greenwood of Radiohead, Sting, Peter Hook of New Order. Locally, sila Buddy and Louie Talan. I’m sure madami pa akong nakalimutan but these guys are on top of my list.

On influences, what bass parts were the most fun to reinterpret?
Bass lines ng mga electronic music especially the down tempo trip hop types. Paulit-ulit na steady na groovy na mismo. Yeah!

What kept you interested in playing bass?
Steady kasi y'ung bass eh. Match kami. I remember a long time ago (nagse-session palang ako sa ‘Maya) tinanong ako ni Rico (Blanco) kung mas comfy ba ako sa guitar or bass guitar. I think I made the right choice.

What kind of warm-up exercises do you do?
Before a gig? Stretching, stretching.

What's the heart of your technique?
Steady lang.

What can you tell about your plucking and picking techniques?
Steady lang din.

What are some of the things that have influenced your sound?
Electronic music, british music, mga babaeng bahista like Kim Gordon, Kim Deal, D’arcy, etc.

What do you think makes a great bass lines?
Whatever fits the music as a whole. I’m not really that much of a fan of technical playing. Probably because I don’t really know how to do technical stuff but mostly because I prefer the creative, unorthodox approach.

Do you play pick?
Pick and finger style.

How do you view the role of the bass in your music?
Same answer as the primary role of the bass question.

What part of your bass playing are you experimenting with the most?
Bass playing? Hmmm.. I dunno. I’m still trying to figure out how to get a good, solid sound though.

What's one of your greatest strengths as a bass player?
Steady lang.

What have you learned from your years of playing bass?
Steady lang. The sound is meant to glue things together not to be flashy and leave everyone behind.

How has your playing attitude changed over the years?
I dunno. Tamad parin ako mag-practice nang bass that’s why I never really became good at it. I still prefer the guitar kapag mag-isa lang ako. I’m not a good bahista role model. So kids don’t be like me ;)

Where do your bass lines come in when recording an album?
It depends on how the song is presented. When I record music on my own there are times when I challenge myself to create music starting with the bass guitar or bass synth, or drumbeats, or keyboard, etc. But normally it would start with a guitar riff then add a drumbeat, bass guitar then vocals wold be last.

How has your bass style evolved through the course of your band's career?
It has evolved for the better. I’m still not that good at it but I’m sure I’m better than how I was 7 years ago.

How did your live paying differ from your studio approach?
Sa studio, d'un mo nabubuhos lahat ng isip, isip na kailangan gawin. Kapag live, dapat masarap nalang. Rock out ka nalang. Sometimes, I tend to forget the bass lines I’ve done in the studio. Maalala ko nalang kapag marinig ko ulit y'ung recorded version. And share ko lang pala, oftentimes kasi some people would listen to the music and say, “ay ang simple naman ng bassline wala man lang slap, slap or whatever” pero minsan hindi naiisip ng iba na bago ka nakarating d'un sa gan'ung “simple” line na yon dumaan na sa filtration system y'un ng utak mo saka sa utak ng producer saka ng mga kabanda mo. It means ayun na ang overall decision na best bassline for the song.

Which one of your songs gives you the biggest thrill when you're up there on stage?
Any song regardless of who I’m playing with on stage. The people watching the show gives me the biggest thrill.

What's something you've learned lately, either on the road or in the studio?
- 1. I miss using passive bass guitars.
- 2. That we are still very much behind compared to our neighboring countries when it comes to big events, sound system set ups, etc.
- 3. I realized how hard it is for me to record using my Macbook’s monitor especially when I record in other home studios.
- 4. I still don’t know how to do slapping action on the bass.
- 5. I still prefer a 4-string bass guitar.
- 6. …And that is because nalilito pa rin ako sa 5-string bass.

Is there a certain sound that your listeners have come to expect from your band?
I think they’re more focused on the lyrics and how they relate to the music.

What musical concept have you had to learn the hard way?
Madami akong di pa rin natututunan talaga. I don’t even know any scale except for the do–re-mi.

What non-musical thing inspires you the most?
Life and love.

What are your preferences when buying bass guitar?
Basta ayus tunog, mismo ang action para sa akin, maganda ang itsura.. y'un na yon! Although almost all of my bass guitars were given to me. Isa lang ata binili ko talaga, acoustic bass pa.

What are your favorite songs from any of you band's albums that incorporate your bass techniques?
All of them. But I love the bass line of Ethnic Faces’ “Golden Boy” .. Mismo! We have a version of that song sa Isang Ugat, Isang Dugo album.

As the bassist, how do you see your role in your band?
Ako lang ba or parang de ja vu itong question? Heehee. Anyway, same answer ng role of the bassist question above.


♫♫♫

No comments:

Post a Comment