Tuesday, September 14, 2010

MY WAY - JERICHO ROSALES







Don’t you sometimes wonder what has become one of sought-after actors with a string of award-winning movies and television soap operas who were so wildly popular then embarking on a singing career? Well, you’re about to see quite a bit of Jericho Rosales. I know what you’re thinkin…but just go ahead and throw out all of your preconceived notions and stigmas about actor turned musician and be prepared to be duly impressed by Jericho Rosales.



Now with his solo, self-titled debut disc check out the samples of his tunes, new direction for the former frontman of his own band ‘Jeans’. According to Jericho, he’s thrown a bit of everything that inspires him musically into this album.



The carrier single “Paglisan” is a heart-wrenching ballad popularized by Color It Red on the 90s. A perfect jumping off point for a new musical venture and a brand new disc. I think a lot of people will be surprised at the depth and talent he has. I had the opportunity to ask Jericho a few questions about his new venture, his band ‘Jeans’, who he is as a musician, a songwriter and what he’s been up to since he entered the music scene!





ON THE RECORD




On the grill was Jericho's assertion of his personal preference of the song “Paglisan” to be the hit single on his debut album “Jericho.” He started, “it's just simply a good song talaga. And the way it was arranged its really good. For me it's very strong song, people know the song. It was used in Pangarap Na Bituin (drama series of the same title) fan-based na kaagad. So it’s a perfect single, perfect weapon to loose the album,” quite well. Nevertheless, the going gets tough with Jericho in taming the song, taking into consideration that the original vocal of the song was a flower. With determined thoughts he asserts, “to tell you honestly, apat na beses akong pumunta sa studio just to fix the song. Finding the right key, right approach dun sa song. 'Yung pressure sa akin okey. It's from Cookie Chua paano it. Kapag revival alanganin ako na gusto ko, it's either pareho n'ung original or magandang pareho na magkaibang version or mas maganda di ba? (smiles)”



On the other hand, taking a separate step from his rock band career would probably mean leaving them behind. But Jericho reassures, “yeah! Kasama ko pa rin sila. Doon sa four singles on this album 'Paglisan', 'Pangarap Na Bituin', 'Beautiful In My Eyes' and 'Ikaw Pa Rin' kasama ko d'yan 'yung guitarist. But the rest of the songs kasama ko talaga 'yung banda ko d'yan.”



The album was a product of an isolated decision, not of a disbandment or any antagonizing events, “it's a group decision (EMI's me and management) to go solo. To break the resistance na nangyari,” he told us. The virtual split gives a stroke of unhappiness, but tough determination knows no sadness, “may konting sadness but the good thing about it eh kasama ko parin sila. Magkaka-tropa parin kami, gagawa parin kami ng maraming-maraming kanta. Susulat parin kami ng original songs, maghahati-hati parin kami. So kami parin, nandun parin pero 'yung face Jericho Rosales,” he states. The album was in consonance with every individual's venturing thoughts to push Jericho to the edge of his becoming, he continued, “there's so many questions why you don't want to go solo? Why you had to be in a band? Why you left showbiz? Sobrang dami ng ganun 'di ba? It's just about time to give in to what people think is right, what would be best for everyone. So I'm writing music not because I wanna battled people (laughs).” And the central concern why he's on his feet making solo music, “I'm playing music, I sing because I wanna share. And the best way to share it was to go solo.”



Now, here's how Jericho set the equilibrium on his album tracks, “Ahmmm...70 to 80% ng mga songs. “Yung kalahati ng songs sa album kailangan bago. 'Yung four tracks 'Ngayong Gabi', 'Tuwing Nakikita Ka', 'Comin' Out' and 'Kasama Ka' its from 'Jeans Loose Fit album, medyo i-ninhance lang namin ng konti.”



Jericho assesses his songs as best of it's kind, though at first he is reluctant to reinvent some songs of previous artists. He speaks, “no. I'm really proud of the songs here, 'yung mga cover songs ko. N'ung una ayaw ko talagang mag-revive eh. But then I saw the beauty of it. Okey reviving a song na parang kailangan maganda. It's a challenge eh, sobrang challenge na pagkatapos n'un na relieve ako, na okey pala.”



Jericho tries to make the balance anyway between creativity and resourcefulness. He further says, “but only a few songs lang talaga, hindi naman p'wedeng magli-live-up na lang ako sa songs ng iba. 'Paglisan' nilabas s'ya n'ung 90s di ba? Okey na i-revive s'ya na wala paring diversion. For me maraming mga reasons kung bakit p'wede kong i-revive. Dati babae 'yung kumanta, 'Pangarap Na Bituin' din tapos ngayon ako 'yung kakanta, lalaking version naman.”



The album shares 60 percent, quantitatively, of Jericho's personality, which the other percent, he considerably shares with other friend personalities, “I would say 60 percent of my personality. Because I've worked with other people sa 'Paglisan', 'Pangarap Na Bituin' pero it's more on ako parin, it's just the way I express, the way I sang. And then the original songs s'yempre that's totally me. The way I fix my hair, I guess (just kidding). It cannot be just me all the time. It's nice when you work with people and when you collaborate.” Though he made some silly jests in the recording of his songs, it nevertheless mean nothing when Jericho made his true point, “when I was recording it? Tigas ulo coming from a band na do whatever you want. Medyo pasaway ako ng konti. Pero na master ko na 'yung just sit down and hayaan mong gumawa sila ng mga bagay sa'yo, just cooperate. I feel good and over all it was an experience na relieving.” With soulful, meaningful, fun and creative criteria, Jericho jingles all the way towards the completion of his album.



Jericho recounts and calculates the “vital statistics” of his album as, “I'm into jazz, pop, blues, rock, 40s, country music. Kaya 'yung album ko medyo pop ng konti. It's just funny sa 'Ikaw Pa Rin' kapag ni-rate mo 'yung astig or rock meter not so eh.”



Brows held high with humble pride, Jericho takes the challenge to check out a hefty package of his new album, the way he pours his time, energy and heart unto it.



He cordially invites, “try me, as I did cover songs. The way I sing it, it's a totally different experience para sa akin, working with other people. Kung ako titingnan ko, let me see him do something na ginawa na ng iba. Okey we know him as Jericho, as an actor. Let see him take on things that are not his.



Let's listen to him express himself na in a different approach. 'Ikaw Pa Rin' is quite exciting and fun for me. It's piano, I like piano. So pagtumugtog na 'yung piano iba 'yung dating sa akin.”





PERSONALLY



Jericho's life on the limelight, more in particular, in music tends to reverberate and affects his family figure. This time, he speaks baking music as a warm offering to his family, especially of being a dad. He speaks personally, “not yet…but I’ve been thinking writing a song like father and son thing. It’s one of my dreams to write a song like that. Buti na lang tinanong mo ‘yan, pero now kasi wala pa talaga. I have so many things to do but when I get the license na for sure talagang makakagawa ako ng isang song for him. I just need time to do it, ganun.”



Checking out his CDs it would be, “last night binili kong album (during this interview) 'Bob Marley & Wheelers' just because nawala na 'yung copy ko eh. Elliot Yamin that's one CD na worth buying. Kasi I have to check out new artist eh. Kung ano ba ang maganda ngayon...” He also notates few songs inscribed in his I-Pod unit like, “yung parang boses acapella na hindi mo maintindihan. Parang puro celendral lang. What else? Christian songs, 60s, 70s, mga wern a frack may mga ganun ako. Mahilig ako sa mga babaeng singers.”



Taking the root of his musicality he puts on the line few of his family members, who in one way or another gave him the zest to grow not only as actor but also music-wise, speaking of his mother, “my mother and my lola. Nanay ko talaga kanta ng kanta sa bahay eh (laughs). Sa probinsiya pa dati kumakanta sila sa radio, siguro do'n ko napulot 'yun. 'Yung acting side ko sa lolo ko 'yun. Lolo ko sarsuela. Tapos naalala ko sarili ko grade six nag stage play ako, small role lang.” John Mayer, on the other hand, is the extension of influence for Jericho as he would easy pick a guitar and hum his tune, “John Mayer (particular song) a lot like 'Why Georgia', 'Clarity', 'Bigger Than My Body.' I know I can't be as good as him, kasi hindi naman ako nagsimula na tipong bata palang nagpi-play na ng guitar eh. But writing songs like him, I like the way he does.” Taking him, it must be like the way you do it, deeply he speaks, “I think I'm deep when I write songs, I'm poetic.”



“I'm playing music, I sing because I wanna share. And the best way to share it was to go solo.”



Besides collaborative agreements to come out with an album worth Jericho's sacrifices which haul chunks of perhaps ninety-nine percent of his real-time and real-energy, right behind him is a percent left pushing him to do more, “through love, feelings. It's more on my personal experiences. I observed, I looked. Sometimes I just get inspired. Like when I'm listening to him (John Mayer) or other artists na talagang nag-trigger ng something sa mind and heart ko. That's the time I'm gonna start writing a song. When my guitar plays some musical riffs tuloy-tuloy na 'yun.” He further recapitulates the ever inspiration, John Mayer, in one of his slack time in Bali, Indonesia.



Regaining his thoughts of the surfing moments he adds, “yeah! Like with the song 'Comin' Out' it was inspired by the song of John Mayer which is called 'Covered In Rain' . But when you listen to it, it's really different. It's just the mood. N'ung unang na set 'yung mood na 'yun I was in Bali (Indonesia). I was surfing and nasa veranda ako, I was looking and listening to that song and it's just purely listening lang. Marami dung part na instrumental lang na deep. So I wrote that song. My guitar and I nag-jam na kaming dalawa. It turned out to be a nice, nice song.”





ANY THING MORE UNDER THE SUN




What kept you pursuing a career in music?

Just my heart talaga. My heart is into music. Ever since ahhh..it was so quiet hehe...very very quiet. I'm very quiet about my music and passion for music. If you remember we had 'The Hunks' di ba? But we sang songs parang kasabay ng pagtatanggal ng t-shirt (laughs) para more fun, kalog. Now nag-grow na talaga 'yung craving ko to write songs and create good music. Kaya 'yun ang gusto ko magtuloy-tuloy sa music. Gusto ko 'yung stage at mag-perform.



When did you realize that you have the calling for music?

N'ung pumasok ako sa showbiz. N'ung pumasok ako sa showbiz do'n ko rin unang nararamdaman na may resistance din. Kumbaga n'ung una tinanong ako sa Mr. Pogi nung sumali ako dun kung ano ang talent ko. Ang sabi ko kakanta ako. Tapos tiningnan nila ako tapos sabi 'sige, sayaw ka' (laughs). Parang 'yung image ko more on performer na siguro artista more than a singer. Pero deep inside of me 'ano ba 'yan', gusto kong kumanta eh.' Hanggang sa habang tumatagal dumarami 'yung nasusulat kong kanta, sabi ko kailangan na nito ng venue. That was the time and it was four years ago. Dapat ma produce 'tong mga kanta na ito. Maging kanta itong mga sulat na ito. So 'yun nagustihan ko s'ya then I said 'Ito na ang gusto kong gawin sa buhay ko.' I want to continue writing songs, I wanna continue producing music and acting din.



What is it in music that is so enjoyable?

Three minutes you can be happy, be sad, can be static, we can be energetic, laid-back. You can relate to a lot of people. We can pass a message through music. Iba 'yung harmony, iba 'yung melody. Music is a trip talaga. Ang bilis... in music we can listen to it over and over again.



What have you learned so far being a musician?

There's so many things I've learned. Like ano ba ang mga essentials ng pagiging isang musikero. Ano ba ang importante sa kanila, lifestyle ng musikero na t-shirt, jeans, polo, walang masyadong limelight. Medyo may pagka mysterious. Parang pag musician ka mas tago eh. Masaya maging musikero, lalo na kapag nagre-recording, nagre-rehearse kami sa Cubao. Kapag musician ka walang masyadong pretentions.



Is there an artist that you follow his/her path in music?

If there be one it's Bono siguro. I wanna be like him kasi influencial s'ya. But at this moment I'm building myself, before ako mag impose ng something. Definitely you'll see a man of substance pagdating sa mga songs ko. Baka dadalas ako sa mga concert with a cost, benefit concerts or suporting this or that. I'll find my way, madi-discover ko rin ang sarili ko.



What's your first thought on getting solo?

Excited. I just felt light about it, thought good about. But there's sadness n'ung una kasi s'yempre its bot gonna be 'Jeans' anymore, iba pa rin kasi 'yung team eh. Now that I'm a solo artist maraming possibilities. Excited talaga ako, na overcome ko na 'yung lungkot na hindi 'yung title hindi na kami Jeans. Iniisip ko na lang kasama ko naman sila palagi eh.



Among the local bands that we have right now, who do you pave for?

Sugarfree. Si Ebe he wrote a song din, binigay n'ya sa akin. Pero hindi umabot but next album maybe. Magaling si Ebe sa tagalog, kung ako makatang masaya s'ya naman malambing na Pilipino.



How long are you seeing yourself being in the music biz?

As long as people want to hear music. I'll be there, my music (smiles). Whether you like it or not (laughs)



Which is the most stressful thing to do acting or singing?

Acting 'coz I have to wait, dress up. Maya-maya palit ng palit with make and everything. The only stressful thing to do pagdating sa music is coordinating things. Si Tita Marines handles it naman (smiles).



Don't you think being an actor then entering to music scene is an advantage or disadvantage?

I want to look at it as an advantage. Parang sa skills I can express my songs better. Pero s'yempre 'yung hindi naman OA di ba? I can feel it kasi it's my job. I'm a filler nga eh. I don't wanna be called an actor (laughs).



What do you do to escape from the stress of the music biz?

I just don't think about it. I'll just sing, the thing is you have to trust your manager, the people that you work with. If you gonna put things in your own hand, you have the stressful time. Talagang mapapagod ka.



What are the things you do outside music and acting?

Surfing, skateboarding and kalikot ng kotse (laughs).



Who's Jericho Rosales as a musician?

A very sensitive musician, fun-loving and serious one.



What is the next step for you in life and career?

Wow! Let's cross the bridge when I get there. It's so hard to tell 'coz I'm still promoting the album. Talagang it's too early for me to say.



Usually what time you're being creative when writing song?

Afternoon to evening...sun down...afternoon.





♫♫♫

No comments:

Post a Comment