Tuesday, September 14, 2010

CHRIS CAYZER: New Kid On The Block







Chris Cayzer, ninety-nine percent passions and fervor and a percent of pretty face and crystalline voice equals a performer par excellence. This might best describe this 'new kid on the block' making old things new via glamorous figure and lucid voice. A bright guy born of Filipino parents seems to exude a foreign becoming. Nevertheless, Chris grew and foretasted a foreign rearing. He grew up in a fertile plains of Brisbane, Australia. Having a share of Aussie character, lifestyle, social and lingual breeding, I almost ran out of vocabulary then.



So, where did it all started? A release says, it was a 16-year old Chris then, when he received his first lavished guitar which heralded the dawn of his career. Chris just gave it his best shot, defining them through unyielding string bends and breaks, song compositions which runs to poor and not so poor, and a heart out for it.



Despite discouragement, as he told us, “I've been told by other people that it's hard to do that, but if you'll never try you'll never know. It's OK to lose when you are trying, but it's not nice to lose your soul. 'Cause you really want to do what you want to do, it's not all about market, it's all about what you want to do, and that's my dream.” Indeed, he just got paid by the time, energy, cost and overt-time spilled on it.



“...I've been told by other people that it's hard to do that, but if you'll never try you'll never know.”



Now, he's steadfastly pacing his way towards the promising daylight of his career. We've just been favored by his presence taking few and precious moments answering old and brand new questions hot and daring.



What is the first thing we should know about Chris Cayzer?

“Chris is C-a-y-z-e-r [laughs] When you say my name, think of the guitar. I write my new songs. I write what I think is right. Chris is [a long pause]... a dreamer. I wanna be known as a guy who keeps evolving and improving.”



Any stories to tell before you formally started as a solo artist?

“I was from Brisbane, Australia. I came from there right here when I was 18 to study in La Salle, because I'm planning to have a business here. And you know, I was going out one night and then a man asked me, “do you wanna start singing? Do you wanna start acting?” I said, OK...and I'm making it to college while I was doing those stuffs.”



Some bits from the third single Holding Out?

“It's a happy song which cheers you up, like if you get up from a break-up. It isn't actually talking of the break-up side, it's more on if you're looking for somebody, you don't need to look for a person, cause she'll come at the right place at the right time, just concentrate on what you are doing. So, it's all about waiting for love.”



Can we expect for more (after that album)?

“Much relaxed. More on the thinking side of things. You think of the song and then you reflect it on to yourself. And that's basically how all songs should be, for me. The way I write, I want people to reflect and relate to what I do. And I'm sure that's what most artists what wanna do.”



What image do you think your music project to hearing the masses?

“I want to be recognized by the masses, but I wanna be normally me. I wouldn't be into any category because sometimes I go into techno music, sometimes I wanna rock, I wanna do blues, jazz. I don't restrict my self to one genre just to please everybody. But you really wanna do is to please anybody. But what most importantly the person you please is your self. I'm trying to expand my self to learn more, I don't want to stick to one thing.”



Any foreign or bands you're inspired with?

“Of course John Mayer, James Taylor. I also like Michael Franks, Kenny Rankin...”



What is the hardest part in playing music?

“I say, you know, the thing that makes it easier are the people who supports you, and you are so blessed. But the hardest part is when you are writing a song, you don't know where its start came from. If you wanna be more relaxed, it's hard to relax sometimes when you're writing a song. Cause you know, if you have a dead line to write a song...actually I'm writing a jingle (for a certain perfume), and if you write a jingle their's a deadline. And with me, songs come to me, I don't look for the songs. Just like my new single Holing Out, love comes to you if you don't look for love.”



“It's OK to lose when you are trying, but it's not nice to lose you soul. 'Cause you really wanna do what you wanna do, it's not all about market, it's all about what you wanna do, and that's my dream.”



How do you rate your LIVE performances as of the present? Say (1-10)

“Basically after every performance their's something I do wrong, so I only rate my performance about 5 or 6. But I could have done better. I want better, I wanna be better, but you can never be perfect, you to keep improving and learning no matter how old you are. That's what other artists told me. You kept on learning and learning and learning, and that's what would keep you better.”



What do you think is most important, the image of the group or the image of the music?

“Music. Music makes me. That molds me. It's part of what's inside of me. You know, looks are just looks. Some says I was a Francis M. look alike. When I do music it differentiates me from whatever I look like.”



Besides music what are the lessons you've learned as an artist?

“Self-discipline. Because if you have the talent but without discipline, what's the use of the talent. You've got to have a self-motivation. When you've got to sleep, you've got to sleep early; you always have to be healthy. If you have a deadline you have to meet that deadline.”



Away from being a musician, what would you be?

“I would still be studying about business or I'll be doing sports.”



If asked to sing or perform for the last time, what song would you be singing?

“I don't know! Because I still have a long way to go, and there are more songs in my head. Right now, I don't want to be thinking about that.”





KNICK KNACKS WITH CHRIS



If you could invent a new instrument, what would it sound like?

“It will sound like [laughs]... [a long pause] it would sound like very digitalized. A sort of a digital guitar.” Or I would be smashing guitar...[laughs].”



Which do you prefer, songs in English or songs in your own language?

“English, 'cause you know I grew up in Brisbane, Australia. Again, I'm in the process of learning, and I've written a couple of Tagalog songs.”



What do you think the world would be like without music?

“Their will be no sound. Cause you get music from this, that and everything. (pointing to chairs, tables etc..).”



If you were a song, what song would you be?

“I would be...[thinking], Bitter Sweet Symphony by The Verve.”



If you had only 24 hours to live, what would you do?

“I would misbehave [laughs]. Probably, I just be myself. I would just swim as far as I can. Or I would just take my chances. I never think really of dying yet.”



“Music makes me. That molds me. It's part of what's inside of me...looks are just looks.”



If the whole world were listening, what would you say?

“I'll just say never give up if you failed. You have to be dropped for you to fly up.”



If you will be face-to-face with God, what question would you like to ask?

“Why Am I face to face with you? [laughs]. I'm not worthy to be face to face with God.”



Given the power to change the world. What change would you like to do?

“Pimples, I guess the world needs pimples[laughs]. (I would change) All sickness of course. And I guess balance, the world needs balance.”



What sort of praise would you like to hear?

“Hey Chris, nice! [giggle]. But I have to be deserving for it. It has to be real. It must not be plastic.”



If you could not differentiate beautiful from ugly, how would choose your girlfriend?

“Well, it should have to be her...and, and I don't know.”





♫♫♫

No comments:

Post a Comment