Thursday, November 4, 2010

NINA SINGS THE HITS OF DIANE WARREN


Nina's making another notable hit on the OPM arena with her new album, “Nina Sings The Hits Of Dianne Warren.” It might be noted that most of her albums doesn't last that long on the music shelves. Say, her “Nina Heaven” is a double platinum, the self titled “Nina” is certified platinum, “Smile” is gold and the most grand of all is her “Nina Live” who counted 8x Platinum.

Count it pure blessing when this comely lass have been gifted with finely tuned vocal faculty and the charisma to draw fans near or far. Hence, Nina has the words and penning of Diane Warren , an American song writer with most songs awarded big on the entertainment industry.


A GLANCE AT DIANE WARREN

Diane Warren, a not so familiar name heralded by some of her famous hits written. Diane was born on September 7, 1956 in Van Nuys, California. Her composition hit not only the audio but the visual as well. Most of her songs were feature in different films. Hits such as “Because You Loved Me” as performed by Celine Dion was her composition. The ever famous hits such as, “I Don't Wanna miss A Thing,” “Un-Break My Heart,” “I Turn To You,” “How Do I Live,” “When I See You Smile,” “Love Will Lead You Back” and so many more were her compositions. Plus, her songs were performed by notable mainstream foreign artists such as Aerosmith, Celine Dion, Tom Braxton, Bad English, Taylor Dane, Edwin McCain, Cher, Faith Hill, Eric Clapton, Christina Aguilera, Trisha Yearwood and so many more.

Now is the moment of grace for Nina as these endearing hits ruptured the coast of the OPM shores through her instrumentality. The hits that she'd done were happened to be hits mentioned above. Those were performed by different foreign artists yet hauled into one vocal uniqueness through Nina's high hitting vocal power.

Another promising album is again about to count laurels and feather on Nina's cap. That's what she would speak about as we caught her gleaming with blushed-on lathered face and a sexy allover ware as we are donning our pictorial and interview sessions with her.

“We prepared by looking on the hits of Diane Warren. There are about 200 hits, the songs that we knew, the songs that we can sing-along with. Then we had a month of recording sessions. With pictorial and everything over all, it took about two to three months in the making,” was her commencement as we hit her with our curiosity about how she prepared for the album. Only with Warner's ingenious thoughts did Nina come up with a wholly Diane warren stuff to be remade, “when the first time I sung a song by Diane Warren was with the ‘Love Songs Compilation’ album. I’m the only Filipino in that album. With that, Warner Music came out with the idea of ‘why not do a whole album with all of her hit songs?’ With sense naman kasi she has a lot of hits,” she told us.

'I Could Not Ask For More' is Nina's favorite pick if she could for a carrier single, she state “It’s my favorite song nowadays...” She also told us that that song was played by her band who still have tentative name until now for three years of playing with her, hence the band badge WHY.

Nina's workforce was as-light-as-feather to work with according to her, “actually when I work on an album, fortunately Warner hindi naman nila ako binibigyan ng makaka-trabaho na mahirap makasama eh. Halos lahat okey from Warner people to sound technicians and recording engineers. No screening process or whatsoever (Warner) pero kilala na nila kung paano mag-trabaho. Nakapalagayang loob na nila, ‘yun ‘yung binibigay nila sa akin. Alam kasi nila na hirap ako makipag-trabaho sa mga matataray, di ba? (smiles). Gusto ko kasi masaya lang palagi kapag nagta-trabaho. Parang naglalaro lang, just enjoying what we’re doing para walang pressure.” Such that with good working buddies all around all they could expect about her is, “I put all of my emotions on the album. Even though some of the songs I wasn’t able to relate. I just put myself into the situation of the songs. So when people listening to it mafi-feel nila ‘yung kanta.” Although , some songs were further re-adjusted to suit her genre just like the song “How Can We Be Lovers” which was converted from rock to ballad.

Nina tries to set aside presumptions for awards and praise thinking that would be a pressure factor on her. She thought, “kasi kung iisipin ko na ‘Okey gagawa ako ng album para magkaroon ng Platinum’ ‘yun ‘yung time na mapi-pressure ako. Pero kapag gumawa ka lang ng album just to share your music, para marinig nila ‘yung boses mo, para matuwa sila dahil gusto nilang makinig ng bagong album walang pressure at all. Kung magkakaroon ako ng award bonus na lang ‘yun and thankful naman ako d’un.” As a soul motivator Nina think of things that would push her spirit to the next level by putting herself on the inspiring things her associates were telling.

The creative touches on the album were of Nina's personal decision to be hands on to it with the help of Warner Music, “Warner Music and I decided on what songs to put on the album. And also pagdating sa arrangements. If I don’t want a certain arrangement for the song I will tell them naman. Actually, almost all of my albums ganu'n ako ka hands-on, kasi ako rin naman ‘yung kakanta eh.” Thus, pointing out that the song “I Could Not Ask For More” is dearest to her, she speaks, “yung ‘I Could Not Ask For More’ kasi with the state that I’m in right now I feel like I’m so blessed with everything. Like albums, friends, family and love ones. I could not ask for more talaga (smiles).” With the roller coaster of emotions she feel while engrossed with the album Nina wants her fans to feel the same, she adds, “they’ll feel inspired, happy, sometimes emotional, sometimes medyo dramatic, Basta mixed emotions kasi different emotions sa iba-ibang songs na nasa album.”

She told us more about the album before we proceed, “it’s actually a very special album ‘coz it’s the very first time we came out of an album with the MINUS ONE. Plus the fact that Diane Warren gave us a go signal to record her hits, special na para sa amin ‘yun eh (smiles). And this album is also a thank you album to all the people who have supported me ever since.”


PERSONALY SPEAKING

Other music artists have come and gone. Why do you think you've been able to remain one of the Leading ladies in music?
Siguro kasi I’m just being real. I’m showing my emotions through my songs. Maraming tao nagsasabi na ‘bakit ka pa nagba-bar gabi-gabi.’ For me naman ako ‘yun eh, gusto ko talaga ‘yun. Simula pa noon gusto ko na talaga kumanta sa bars eh. Kumbaga masaya ako kahit na ganito lang ang bayad. Masaya ako na meron akong napa-pasayang tao. Para kahit paano maririnig nila ‘yung music ko kahit na hindi ako ganu'n ka visible sa TV. Okey na sa akin ‘yung regular gig sa bar.

How has fame changed you?
I think it doesn’t changed me at all (smiles). Personally as a person no. Siguro ‘yung hindi na ako masyadong nakakapunta sa malls, limited na lang. Hindi na ako p’wedeng tumambay 'dun ng morning until evening, mga ganu'n lang naman nagbago sa akin eh.

Other things you do outside music?
Right now, I started ahmm…playing tennis. Ano pa ba? I love reading the writings of Paulo Coelho. Halos lahat ng mga books nila kumpleto ako. Kapag may bago sila bininili ko kaagad kahit may hindi pa ako tapos basahin. And si Nicholas Sparks din gusto ko s’ya. Aside from those authors, I also read self-help books, mga about life.

Was there ever a time in your career that you thought I can't do this anymore?
When the first time I entered in the music industry a lot of people were like putting me down. They said, ‘I won’t make it in the business.’ S’yempre ako naman wala talaga akong kaalam-alam. So feeling ko sa sarili ko parang ‘Oo nga ang daming singers’, tapos bago lang ako. Lahat sila malalakas na samantalang ako wala masyadong kakilala.

What made you decide to continue?
N’ung maraming bumili ng album ko at saka maraming nagsabi sa akin na nai-inspired sila kapag naririnig nila ‘yung mga songs ko sa album. At saka ‘yung mga supporters ko gumawa sila ng website ko. So 'dun na nag-start lahat. Kahit papaano nand’yan sila para sa akin.

Does everything you experience or feel somehow find its way into your songs?
Yes. A lot of my experiences I put it into my songs. Parang I think of some experiences from the past and at the present that I’ve had. I let it out through my songs and music.

What kind of messages do you want to convey to your women listeners?
That life is too short to just spending time looking for boys (laughs). I believe that there’s a boy for every girl. So don’t look for them, let them look for you (smiles). A lot of my girl friends lahat sila ‘uy kailangan ko ng Papa’. ‘Yun talaga ang napapansin ko kapag naghahanap ka wala ka talagang makita. I suggests to just be yourself. Kunwari may guy d’yan ‘wag kang magpa-cute. Kung ano ka sa harap ng mga friends mo, ganu'n ka rin kapag nand’yan sila (smiles).

Has music always been a big part of your home life?
Do you listen to music a lot when you're at home? Whenever I take a bath and whenever I’m fixing myself up. Kasi that’s also my way of vocalizing before a show. So early in the morning I listen to music.

How did you take care of your voice?
Hindi lang ako umiinom ng malamig na tubig ‘yung may ice, ganyan. ‘Yung ice cream pinapatunaw ko so cream na lang ‘yun (laughs). Tapos hindi ako into minty candies although hindi talaga ako mahilig dun. Sweets bawal ‘yun pero para sa akin ‘yung mga chocolates ‘yun dapat kinakain ko ‘yan before the show.

What's an example in your personal life of how you've stood up for yourself?
Sa relationships. Ano ba? Sa susunod kapag sinabi na ng pamilya, kaibigan mo na itong taong ito ay hindi para sa’yo, s’yempre outside forces sila, dapat makinig ka na lang. Unang beses pa lang, okey? (smiles). Hindi ‘yung susuwayin mo po sila. In the end kahit ipaglaban mo pa ‘yun wala rin mangyayari. Sa akin ha based on my experience. Hindi ka rin magiging happy kasi lahat ng tao hindi rin happy for you.

Who are you now versus five or six years ago when you're just starting out?
I’m very much stronger person now than five years ago. Siguro I’m more matured now when it comes to dealing with a lot of adversities in life. Dati kasi dini-dibdib ko eh, now I try to see a very positive side of things on a negative things na nangyayari.

What's it like to get back in the spotlight after your last album?
Actually, akala lang nila (mga tao) nawala ako. Pero hindi naman talaga ako masyadong visible sa TV ever since. The truth is may mga shows ako, mga corporate shows, out-of-town, out-of the-country shows. Wala na ako totally kapag nawalan na talaga ako ng shows.

Have you been surprised by a song that hits it big or isn't as big as you thought it was going to be?
Yep. ‘Yung sa ‘Love Move in Mysterious Ways’. Sabi ko nga sa’yo (smiles) kapag naglabas ako ng album hindi ko naman iisipin na magiging hit talaga ‘yun. Basta kakanta lang ako. Tapos naging hit s’ya. Gustong-gusto pa rin ng mga tao hanggang ngayon ‘yung song na ‘yan. Hindi pa rin nila pinagsa- sawaan, nire-request pa rin s’ya. So hanggang ngayon na su-surprise pa rin ako (smiles).

Who's the most significant (major) musical force in your life?
My dad.

Are you a daddy’s girl?
Oo. Kasi siya talaga ‘yung nag-push sa akin para kumanta eh. Before talaga parang wala akong hilig, hindi ko gusto. S’yempre gusto ko maglaro lang. Naiingit ako sa mga kapatid ko, sila naglalaro ako kumakanta. Pero I thanked him for that, kasi now nakita ko na may potential pa la ako, di ba? (smiles). Hindi ko akalain na p’wede pala ako maging singer.

What’s your bonding moment with your dad?
Dad ko wala na s’ya nung 2000 pa. Before pa ako maglabas ng album, wala na s’ya. So hindi na n’ya nakita na nagka-album ako (sadness on her face). Any particular song that make you remember your dad? Hmmm…’One Sweet Day’. Kasi n'ung time na ‘yun parang ‘yun ata ‘yung sikat na kanta. Very significant sa akin kapag naririnig ko ‘yun naaalala ko ang dad ko.

Is there a point at which your achievements eclipse who you are?
Parang hindi ko yata masasagot yan ah (smiles). Itatanong ko muna sa mga friends ko. Pero ako sa tingin ko ha, nagbago ba ako? (asking his boyfriend on his side). He says, ‘mas naging mabait ka ngayon.’ Siguro nga ganu'n. Marami nagsasabi na ganu'n nga ang nangyari. Kasi ayaw kong yumabang. Kapag halimbawa may shows, maraming guests ako pa nga ang nahihiya eh. Nasa isang tabi lang ako, ganu'n. Hindi ako masyadong nagsasalita. Although ‘yung iba nami-miss interpret nila, sinasabi nila ang taray ko. Pero ang totoo nahihiya lang talaga ako. How did you stay grounded after all the success? Whenever I’m with my family and friends, I don’t think about fame. I think about being with them as a normal person. The same when I’m with my fans, when I’m reaching to them. Parang I’m not the Nina on stage, kundi level lang talaga.

♫♫♫

No comments:

Post a Comment