Tuesday, November 2, 2010

NIKKI'S HEART SPEAKS ONCE AGAIN



Known for her exquisite rendition of renowned songs such as the Asian version of the High School Musical's “Breaking Free” and “Gotta Go My Own Way.” Not much, locally, she's the darling of the commercials Dunkin Donuts, J&J, Ovaltine, Anchor Milk, Del Monte Catsup, and Del Monte Pineapple for making a nice voice talent. Plus some other television appearances and promotions, say hosting the franchised reality TV show, Pinoy Dream Academy Season 2, Florinda, Love Spell:Credit Card, Pangarap na Bituin, High School Musical Around the World, Wowowee, Your Song: Ang Pagibig Kong Ito and many more.

These don’t exhaust yet this pretty girl down the road. She's apt for more of her. It's all her heart and vocal chords put together to come once again with her newly hewed album “Hear My Heart” under the recording cradle of EMI Philippines. Now, it's official. It's heart to heart with Nikki Gil! Let's hear her heart out!

You've got to know her more. She's obstinate when it comes to perusing her goal in life, and 'makulit' at that, when she told us the way she feels about making the album, “I'm very excited about it actually matagal ko na kinukulit ang EMI na i-release ito (smiles). It's been two years in the making since my first album. So I really wanted it to be extra special because people are like 'kailan ka magre-release ng album? I always say malapit na.” But before were gracious chaos before the release takes toll, she adds, “maybe timing. There are so many things happening to me at that time. And I was starting out in the industry. There were projects I had to do first. I've got into hosting, I got into acting also.” Tough woman speaks, and she made it with here daredevil schedules.

Nikki gets more touch and involvement on her album, she notes, “this one I'm proud to say that this is more me, it has more Nikki. In the sense that I actually, musically in me. I wanted it to be more piano driven. I played the piano to make it more laid back. Though my first album din naman laid-back. But this is different now, I guess.” It's more deeper in tone, in the sense that she sings more with her heart plus her sister's involvement in the penning of the songs. “I could say I sing with more heart now because most of the things that I've gone through in life. Even on the technical aspects, choice of songs and maybe because 'Hear My Heart' actually co-wrote with my sister.”

Nikki include in her album a couple of her originals, explaining she wanted to contribute something to the OPM music industry. Nikki's sense of flexibility is evident in the making of her piece, “kasi lahat naman ng kanta nadadaanan sa arrangement eh. Like I could sing 'Halik' by Aegis. It can fit into that with the proper arrangement,” she told us.

She's accommodating to her fellow's auditory preferences from romance all the way to driving cars. She thought, “mostly love songs 'coz Filipino's are very into that and so am I (smiles). I'm a hopeless romantic. I think its good driving music, maganda s'ya at least thats my friends say.” She handpicked personally all songs with utter care plus the infusion of her personal originals. Affirmatively she said, “yes. All the songs were presented by the label and I've got to pick on that. But some like I really force them to put it in there. Like 'On My Knees', 'Buses and Trains' and the two original songs.” Adding further, “this would be my first attempt” (to includes originals).

“Buses And Trains” best describes Nikki's “status” when it comes to her personal romantic dilemma. She describes, “who I am at the moment? Yung 'Buses and Trains' because I love lang. I missed relationship siguro at least I've read all the books, all the relationship, psychological for Myx magazine. There were people who asked me for love advice; I do that for everyone who wants to showbiz or non-showbiz pagdating sa relationship and its fun with 'coz I'm not in a relationship.” Meaning she's into walking an extra mile in her life, extending her profound knowledge and capabilities to other aspiring young-bloods. Nonetheless she's amenable of the fact, “and I only been to one relationship so what do I know. But 'Buses and Trains' only because it talks about how good love feels pero masakit. It's like you know you, walk under a bus get hit by the train but still it feels so good,” she asserts.

On the other way around Nikki's torch of confidence falter for sometimes. She admits “hindi I was very apprehensive at first. Because we all know the more effective song writers only come out with songs based all our personal experiences. So natatakot ako na kapag naglabas ako ng kanta na I solely wrote then might say 'uy para kanino 'yan?' may ganung factor. Eh ako pa naman super alaskadora ako so ayoko kong inaalaska ako.”

Nikki's honed herself to be open minded to all sorts of musical stimulus so as to maximize her knowledge and responsiveness to music.

She explained, “no. Ang advise sa akin ng label is that you listen to all genre while working on the album para hindi ka malimit, walang kang peg. You know as the Filipino artist you don't wanna end up copying from foreign artist. So it's a good combination of all and at least bukas ang isipan mo sa iba't -ibang genre.” And the preparations are a lot full of flavors to hip-up anachronisms on the songs and best suits the present musical taste.

She ascertained, “I look at it on the other way. I think covers are effective because they were hit before. So parang formula na 'yun, tried and tested na 'yun dati. All you have to do is bring it in to the present time. We re-arrange it a bit, not only different flavor to do it. I look at it baliktad naman although its true there are pipili ka rin ng mga kanta. There are songs na 'wag na 'wag mong ire-remake. No matter how good it is which end up bastardizing the song. Like any Michael Jackson songs that's nakaka bastos. But some of the songs here (on the album) naman kaya naman. Kaya naman ibahin ang flavor ng konti.”

Finally, resting on others hand in producing his album is another admission of her contingency, “he is our inhouse producer. We've worked with him before with my first album. He's really talented, I love Kuya Kiko, called him that. He won't do anything without asking me na 'O ano gagawin natin dito, ano gusto mo mangyari dito sa track na ito'. And because he has been in the industry for so long he knows the formula, he know what will make a hit, what sound commercial, what makes for a good single and what makes good for a bonus track,” she gratefully explained.


TICK TACK TALK

How easy or difficult doing 'Hear My Heart' album?
Wala naman kasi akong birit songs d'yan eh. So para lang akong kumakanta sa shower na ini-enjoy kolang 'yung music. Ah hard because everyone's releasing an album nowadays from the female hierarchy. And competition wise it's very stiff, but I believe this album I have something different to offer. Kumbaga iba naman siguro 'yung tunog ko.

What frame of mind were you in while doing the album?
Ah I can' t wait for it to come out. I'm just so excited for it to come out talaga. Right after we record the songs I have been give me a copy of the songs . Kaya on my way home pinapakinggan ko na s'ya. (smiles) paulit-ulit. Parang even if it doesn't make it to the charts or even if won't be as successful as I hope it will be I wouldn't mind because I enjoy doing it. And its my music, it's really can't force anyone to appreciate it di ba? (smiles).

How come you don't have a duet song on the album?
I was supposed to have a duet. Pero wala kaming maisip from my generation at least, wala. Christian Bautista but everyone is singing with him. Bentang benta na si Christian (smiles) mahirap. Pero pinag-isipan din namin 'yun. That was something that I wasn't able to do sa first album. But we were hoping this time around to have a collaboration.

Which song in the album that makes you so hard to sing? '
Yung 'Hear My Heart' siguro. Kasi kailangan namin (with her sister) panindigan namin 'yan (smiles) sinulat namin 'yan eh. Kailangan maayos ang pagka-kanta ko d'yan. 'Yung sister ko kasi mas malawak 'yung range ng voice n'ya sa akin. So malamang n'ung kinompose n'ya 'yan para sa key n'ya. Nagdugo ang mga veins ko d'yan (smiles).

How much of your emotions did you put into yours songs?
I think it would reflects when you listen to the track if the artist mean or did not mean. Kung totoo 'yung kanta para sa kanya and hopefully my emotions, sentiments would be reflected on the track.

What can your fans look forward to with regards to this new album 'Hear My Heart' ?
Well, I like it that's a good start. If I weren't Nikki I probably get this album, its my kind of music. The chicks will like it, girls will like it. I actually have a couple of guy friends and they told me that they like it. Its good driving music, I was like 'So hindi deserving ilagay sa i-pod?' But its very easy listening, most of the songs are familiar song especially to older generations . I did remake of Andy Gibb songs, Sheena Houston, Bachelor's Girl. So parang may nagki-cater to everyone. It was arranged infatuated kumbaga now in our generation.

Lessons you've learned: Be nice, smile and be nice to everyone h'wag kang mamimili. You know let's face it naman no matter how beautiful you are physically, no matter how matangos your nose is, if your a bitch, people are gonna hate you. 'Yung iba mabait nga pero masungit naman sa mga lights man, sa crew I mean these people work harder than you. They've pay them the respect that they've deserved. Be genuinely nice...


♫♫♫

No comments:

Post a Comment