Sunday, November 28, 2010

BILLY CROWFORD - DANCES TO THE GROOVE


Coast to coast, Billy Joe Crawford as what I've known him since childhood, has proven his worth in his musical advocacy by surfing over life's hurdle and therefore sustained his career for years now, here and abroad.

Billy in the first place is an international artist. He keeps ringing a bell at foreign coast with his chart topping records. Had anybody been there with the same feat, would probably stay, think twice or as what Billy did, turn back to where he first made his baby steps with here in the Philippines.

Billy Crawford had been a familiar tot on the Philippine cinema before he took flight bound for USA for pretty long years of stay working out his heart's desire. He has been seen on some local films together with some other toddlers of his age which are also seldom appearing on showbiz limelights now.

He was born of a half-Spanish and half-Filipina mother, Mayette and an American father, Jack. Billy began lighting the torch of his career since three years old singing on a bowling alley where his mother used to visit. Years onwards, he has his regular sprint on That’s Entertainment, a famous talent development program by one of the nation's television giants. He made a careful balance between career and academic life. He attended school at the International Christian Academy. When he was eleven years, he made it to the foreign coast where he scribed his musical history and a story to tell later on.

Billy Crawford has spined seven albums since the dawn of his recording, respectively: Billy Crowford (1999), Trackin (2001), Ride (2001), Big City (2004), Big City Tour Live (2005), It's Time (2008) and now on a platter, not unless your bills made it to the counter and the packaging.

His debut album runs from successful to not so successful one. He made a break afterwards, for at least a year to mend few things and to take an obstinate stance for more on in journey.

The sophomore “Trackin” however pulls him to the second level where it became platinum became chart toppers in some other countries in Europe such as Netherlands (#1), Belgium (#2), Switzerland (#3) and Germany (#20). His album “Ride” on the other hand, rides on to various charts with considerable sales marking it platinum once again specially on French market. His “Big City” album consecutively hits big too. Considering it was produced by big guys of American recording such as Kovas, who made some production with Justine Timberlake, Chris Brown, Shakira and other artists. This also ushered to his “Big City Tour Live” album with pouring applause. And of course, his fourth studio album “It's Time” is waiting its perfect time for a shot on the chart.

This time, it's groovy. The album “Groove,” grooves with hits from the 70s to 80s such as Michael Jackson, Robbie Dupree, Andrew Gold and more. Besides the groovy tracks (with collaboration of the present date and love interest Nikki Gil), you'll have a literally fat and hefty digitally mastered strong crimson packaging with him on a hovering chair. Better check that out!

Now it's official! We've met him, talked with him, grooved with him, face to face and skin to skin. It's a “mission possible” as usual just for you from your own OPM Music Authority – Pinoy. Nonetheless, it's a long story and a lot of nerve before he fell snapped into our lens and rolled into our recording cassette. Now he's talking...


GROOVY ALBUM TALKS

The album “Groove” seems to orchestrate with its production according to Billy. It was hewed oversees and was done smooth. “Well, actually it was quick. We recorded the album within a month. The production came pretty much overseas, in the States. It's all cover songs. Other than that, mabilis naman 'yung process ng album, it's under Universal Records.” As smooth as it is, choosing songs is bit slow, because there are lots to chose from! “Well actually, sobrang daming choices. Pero ang kinuha ko medyo familiar sa ka-age group ko at familiar sa mga bata din. Sino ba naman ang hindi nakakaalam ng mga kanta ni Michael Jackson or Earth, Wind & Fire. So 'yung choices ng kanta ang dami at first, hindi namin alam kung anong direction and ano ang gagawin namin. Pero at the end of the day 'yung nagpipin-point kami kung ano ang babagay sa akin or anuman ang kaya kong kantahin kasi honestly hindi ko naman kayang gawin mga Stevie Wonder songs dahil hindi naman ako gan'un ka soul or r&b. So kinuha lang namin parang pop, dance and pop-ballad.”


Any instruments that you played on this album?
Wala, wala. Medyo ngarag eh dahil kailangan matapos ito bago mag-tour with Sarah (Geronimo) sa States so binilisan namin 'yung process.

Can you describe the vibe of this new record?
Well the album is called “Groove”. So 'yung vibe is, all the songs that you can groove to which is you know you can dance and groove to love songs, you can groove to up-tempo. Well, it's not all ballad actually. When you listen to the first four songs you have “Rock With You”, “Sexy Eyes”. Hindi naman siya ballad eh, 'yung mga ballads lang naman towards the end like “One Last Cry”, “Someone” kahit “Lovely Day” medyo mid-tempo pa rin siya. So may iba't-ibang groove, hindi naman siya totally ballad.

Can you tell us something about your first single, “Steal Away”?
Well “Steal Away” wasn't on top of my list at first. Pero nagustuhan naman ng crowd and media at one point. One thing that I've realized kapag gagawa ka naman ng album especially kapag cover songs kailangan mo namang gawin to please them (listeners) 'di ba? And also be happy naman sa performance s'yempre. So kung magustuhan naman ng age group ng mga nanay, tatay and matra-transfer ko naman 'yung music na p'wedeng mag-match sa mga bata so why not. Kaya that's why “Steal Away” is one of the crossing points on the album.

How did you motivate yourself for that song?
Well, I think every song express itself in a certain way. And ako naman, I just try to expose to original as possible. Tapos babaguhin ko, ibibigay ko lang naman kung ano ang nararamdaman ko kapag nagpi-perform. Vocally produce din naman ito ni Marcus Davis, which is kano. He's a black guy and we talk and listen to the song continously and then we just go parang free nalang.

When was the last time you released an album?
My last album was 2003 or 2004 something but I never release a cover song album.

You had your last album in 2004; it's been like 5 years now. What took you so long to release another album?
Well this is just a local release. So this is nothing going out in the States or France or anywhere else. And well requested naman ng mga tao na sana gumawa ako ng album. Kaya pinag-isipan namin. When Universal Records approached me to do an album since they're the ones who released “Bright Lights.” N'ung sinabi nila na cover songs, s'yempre as a soloist and as an artist na nagsusulat parang nawalan ako ng gana. Pero you know you have to adopt back to the culture natin, ito ang gusto ng mga tao. At saka n'ung nakita ko naman ang tiwala ng Universal sa akin ibinigay ko na rin ang trust ko.

What is the main difference between "Groove" from your previous releases?
First of all its cover songs. So it's completely different to my previous albums. It's not as urban or as R&B which I normally do. Pero it's still high energy and I think vocally, I explore a little bit more than I did sa mga past albums ko.

What was the most challenging part of making this new disc?
I think singing “Mercy, Mercy Me” by Marvin Gaye. That's one of the most challenging songs, because as Pinoy to sing Marvin Gaye song is really not easiest thing to do it's just like what I've said if I were to choose to sing between Stevie Wonder or Michael Jackson of course I'm gonna say Michael Jackson. Not because hindi ko makakayanan ang Stevie Wonder, pero ang “Mercy, Mercy Me” thank God I had Marcus with me, he's a black guy from L.A. And he has a lot of soul. It's one of my favorite songs on the album.

Other things you want to share or add more about this newest offering?
I think it's one of a kind for a cover album. It's not typical songs na ballads plus makikita mo naman ang packaging ng Universal, it's unique and one of a kind. 'Yung choices ng songs I think it's definitely well thought of. As I said 'yung credibility ng Universal and I, makikita at maririnig mo naman, so I think I can rotch for it. Hindi naman ako gagawa ng album na hindi ako komportableng gawin so I'm very happy.

So how is it like going back to Universal Records since your last album was from MCA-Universal right?
Well I was from BMG, Universal, MCA then Universal again. MCA came out a year and a half with “It's Time.” It's an all original album pero umalis kasi ako. So I didn't really promote and hindi ko na push through. Now that I am here, I'm doing what I do. At maganda naman ang market ng ABS-CBN sa akin, so why not. And 'yung Universal nga when they came up na gusto nilang gawin ito at first alanganin ako pero sa sobrang galing ng pagkakagawa nila sa “Bright Lights” dati kaya I trusted them. 'Yun lang actually ang na plugged dito.Ginawa pang dance competition 'yan at some point. 'Yung acceptance lang naman ng mga tao ang habol ko.

What's the response been from fans who have heard the new material?
Manager ko naman ang makakasagot n'yan eh (pointing to Arnold Vegafria who's beside him).
Maganda naman ata ang sales at pagtanggap ng mga tao.

Arnold Vegafria: They just released it last Sunday (May 10, 2009) now they just replenished orders. Actually I got a call from Kathleen Dy-Go (of Universal Records). They're very very happy with the results of the first distribution now they replenished it yesterday so naubos.

The packaging is very unique, tell us something about it.
Actually kapag natanggal mo 'yung CD sa likod, 'yung mga babae p'wede nilang gawing jewelry box kung gusto nila (laughing out loud). Kung wala ng silbi para gawin 'yun, tanggalin mo nalang lagyan mo na lang ng katol, okey na 'yun (laughs).

What's your personal favorite among all the songs?
“Mercy, Mercy Me” is actually one of my favorite songs on the album. Of course “Rock With You”, “Human Nature”, “Could It Be I'm Fallin' in Love”. And yeah, one of my favorite parts is the duet between me and Nikki Gil, “You've Got A Friend.”

You did a great rendition of “One Last Cry” which is one of our favorites, What's with that song?
Thank you. I think Brian McKnight is one of my favorite artists. Tuwang-tuwa ako n'ung nasa lists 'yun ng Universal eh kasi vice-versa. They gave me a whole big lists and tsineck ko kung ano ang mga gusto ko at gusto nila. At the end of the day nag-compromise kami, we needed a ballad daw. At one point may “All My Life”, a song that I have to do tapos parang hindi bagay then they said 'why don't we do 'One Last Cry' the acoustic version. Tapos sabi ko 'sige!' so pasok siya.

Any expectations for this new record?
Hopefully I expect success naman sa album. I really try to persuade people to buy real album not copied albums or bootleg copies or stuff like that. I think ang ini-expect ko, if all is well the first time it came out, until now and they just re-ordered again from all the stores, I think blessings naman, 'yun.

What can we expect more from Billy Crawford for this year?
I'll be touring around here and overseas. And I'll be having a concert with Akon this July 4, Independence Day of United States. We will be doing a concert together so that's one and then more promotions for the album of course.

And for your coming endeavors with and for this album, for the coming concerts and tandems with other artists, Pinoy Songmagazine extends a best regards to you.

And hey, break a leg!


THAT'S THE WAY HE GROOVES IT

For years, that he has been grooving his own thing on the floor, Billy aspires himself more like any other loud out there, not taking too much nor too less. Just only one thing about him. “...one thing I notice for myself is I always put a positive head on my shoulders just knowing a fact that there's always something to learn. I'm open to learn and to move on from my mistakes from before. So I think as a person and as an artist, I've grown a lot since the past 20 years that I'm doing it. You know, I've been in the industry for 23 years, so I think 'yung patience ko nand'yan. I'm a very patient and easy to work with and minsan siraulo lang pero okay lang 'yun. (smiles)”

What's the biggest misconception about you?
Hindi ko naman masasabi 'coz like what I've said for the past two years ang impression nila sa akin for fifteen years, na playboy ako, na babaero daw ako or stuff like that. Pero I can say that I've been around, I just bare share being young and exploring things. But I think I've grown up and matured a lot more. So hindi na totoo 'yung playboy playboy na 'yan, misleading na 'yun.

Whom do you want to work with in the future?
Of course there are always openings for artists to work with. Because as an artist you have to be a fan of other people din naman. I would love to work with Stevie Wonder.

How about for local artists?
Local artists? I would love to do a song with kuya Gary (Valenciano). I would like to do a song with, to change it just a bit with Kamikazee or something like that. If you've seen Eminem, you've seen all these hip-hop and R&B artists going rock and rock going hip-hop. I manage between the two so why not. Ang hindi ko lang magagawa is techno, 'yan ang hindi ko magagawa sa tanang buhay ko. Thank God at hindi tayo ka-adopt sa gan'un. Nakakasakit ng ulo 'yun (laughs).

For someone like you, how do you handle and deal with fame?
I never look myself as someone famous 'coz I always have more dreams. The more you accomplish your dreams, you will always have another dreams to go through. As someone doing well sa career naman, I think I am blessed because I have the right people around me. I am blessed that I have a positive head on me. I'm here to work and enjoy at the same time. 'Di ko naman masasabi na 'okay, trabaho lang ng trabaho. Patayin ko na lang ang sarili ko di ba?.' You have to enjoy and love what you do. And I don't think I can ask for more or do anything else apart from this. Maybe in the near future when I have a family and grow old I think but I have something to do behind the scene. I might do songwriting or still something to do with the industry.

How do you stay grounded with all the achievements?
May mga tao na katulad nito (pointing to his manager), sinisipa ako (laughs). No, I think one reason is to stay humble because I had a great support from my family. You know, I look up to my father and my mom. It's not easy for a 3 year old from a showbiz without the support of their parents from then on. Now I'm on my age and all by myself, I think that keeps me grounded.

You're good at music, acting, hosting and dancing--is there anything you're not good at?
I can't juggle with fire (laughs) that's one thing I can't do. Pero nagawa ko rin 'yun dati sa That's Entertainment (laughs). I can't play tennis. I do play basketball. I don't play soccer. I play baseball, American football, badminton. I race go carts. I sky dive. I think marami din naman ang hindi ko kayang gawin like you can't put me on the desk for 9 hours and work that way. 'Yun ang hindi ko kaya, so I gave so much respect to the people who worked from 9-5. And stays wee hours on the night and stays in front of their computers and deal with bosses and all that. Siguro 'yung patience ko na'to...ahhh. It doesn't do with music, it's hard.

How do you think you're evolving?
I think I'm evolving in a right decision. I'm being a little bit more creative on some pushing points where I never pushed before like doing a cover album. I never in a million years I thought that I'll be doing covers. D'un kasi sa States or sa Europe or anywhere else they're not really big for cover songs, it's all original songs. So I think it's a step into adapting sa culture natin sa 'Pinas, ito ang gusto ng mga tao ,so why not. There's a curiosity naman na 'kaya ba n'yang gawin ito?' . Hindi naman mawawala sa tao 'yun eh, kaya nga you have to buy it and listen to it so you can really judge the album naman. And you know I accept, disregard, people saying 'ay ang pangit naman or anything' because seriously as an artist, you have to accept negativity that comes with it. If you don't, you're not gonna grow. You will learn from your mistakes. And I think that's one of the reasons why I am still here. And one of the things I'm doing up until now is I challenge myself more and more. And I'm growing up as an artist.

What else do you want to achieve?
Gold medal lang sa Olympics (laughs). No, I think one of the things I wanna achieve is also success outside again aside from Philippines, going around to Latin countries. I've never been to Spain, to Italy market. I'm done all over Europe, I'm done in States, maybe go back again to States and do something again, you know. Maraming opportunities na kailangang tanggapin, but it comes with a lot of sacrifices also.

Is there anyone whose career you emulate, particularly someone like you who's
trying to bridge audiences and phases in your life?
What I think ang natutunan ko being an inspired artist like kuya Gary you know he's always been himself. As an artist, you have to go and be original. You can be influenced by all types of music and all kinds of artists. Pero ang mahanap mo ang sarili mo 'yun ang pinaka importante. I think ang career na longevity, that's what I look forward to not stardom na 'okay I have number #1 hit all over the place, all over the world. Where do I go from there?' So you know you have to grow, I think the step by step everyday d'un ako masaya.

You've been in the industry for a while. Do you have any advice for young artists?
I think one advice that I can tell them which I said a little earlier for inspiring artists you have to enjoy and love what you do and work on your craft. Kung anuman ang hilig mo if you're an artist, or painter or if you're a musician or anything like that, there's always a chance to go so you have to work at it. Ang pinaka importante d'un is you have to enjoy. You have to thank God for giving you that talent. You have to search kung ano ang mga talent mo. Patience lang talaga and hard work. I think all artists naman 'yun ang sinasabi. You have to be patient, it doesn't happen overnight. You have to impress, you need to show people that you can do it. Kung kaya mo naman gawin at nasa puso mo, okay at kung hindi ka robot okay lang 'di ba.

Can you share a sad experience before you made it big?
Like what I've said it all doesn't take a month or two months to become successful you know. It took me four and a half years to get time for a label. It took me a year and a half to at least break it into a Top 50 in France on that point. It took me three years to get the number #1 hit without riding it. It's a process hindi mo naman masasabi. One experience that I've had, that's really crazy was when I'm with the stage with Westlife and Blue, ito 'yung kalakasan nila. You know at that time, Backstreet Boys, 'NYSNC, boy bands are big and I was all by myself with dancers so hindi naman ako mabibigyan ng importansiya. Nilagay ako sa gitna, I was Billy Crawford then you have Westlife before me and then Blue after me. So 'yung pagdating ng tao sa akin 'sino 'yun?' Pero after you do your performance and after you showed them that you can do it d'un mo naman makukuha ang acceptance ng mga tao. Slowly it turns better and better.

You just celebrated your 27th birthday a few weeks ago. Do you have any goals you want to reach before you turn 30 in a few years' time?
'Wag nating pag-usapan 'yang thirty na 'yan, tagal pa 'yan (laughs). No, goals? I do wanna build a production company here in the Philippines. A production company not the one producing shows but music production where in making music and songwriting occur. But me, Jay-R, Kris Lawrence, Jimmy Muna and Marcus we are all kinda working in one team. I have studio at my house. Lahat naman kami, have our own recording studios at home. At kapag may ginagawa sila they'll always call, 'yo! come to the house, check this song out, ganito, ganyan'. We are always bragging to each other. So instead of bragging to each other, I was the one who told them 'why don't we start something. Kung may artist ka, paikutin mo 'yung artist mo sa production natin, sa mga writers natin then ilabas natin whether sa Japan, sa States, sa Europe or whereever.'

What's your typical day like without work?
Most of the time I play basketball kapag wala akong trabaho kung hindi kain ng kain, tulog. But most of the time kahit walang trabaho pinipilit ko nasa studio ako. I like listening to songs, buying CDs, nag-aaral ako ano ang uso at bakit popular iyan. It has to do something with work regardless there's no day off for me. Kung day off naman siguro, pahinga at shopping.


BILLY IS...


The biggest rumor about me that isn't true is: that I'm a gay. Ang tagal na n'un, kuya Germs day. Hindi ko kasi inaamin kung sino ang girlfriend ko. Sinabi sa akin 'bading si Billy.'

Okay, I admit it, I cried: recently, dealing with some personal problems.

I am totally addicted to: sneakers. No particular brand, all kinds of sneakers.

I was the most proud of myself when I: performed with Michael Jackson way back 1994.

The worst thing someone ever did to me was: to put you in a situation where should you weren't be.

The worst thing I've ever done was: lie.

The most personal song on my album is: Human Nature.

To me, love is: everything.

To me, sexiness: isn't important.

If I could go back and do it again, I'd change: my decision making on something personal.

I can best describe my sound as: me.

The worst outfit I ever wore was: tight leather pants.

If I could switch places with anyone, I'd want to be: my father.

Three things I look for in a girl are: lips, natural and good sense of humor.


♫♫♫

Special Thanks to: Pinoy Song Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment