Thursday, November 25, 2010

JAY R - A PRINCE'S SOUL IN LOVE


The R & B prince Jay-R or Gaudencio "Jay R" Sillona III, finds his way to Calibre Studios where we are doing our set for a pictorial sessions whenever there is. His presence graced your OPM Music Authority with two other music champs, Jed Madela and Richard Poon. Jay-R , as we see it, is at the blithe of his senses; making his own thing, turning the pages of his musical career bit by bit and into their right perspective.

He started to kindle the torch of his career at the vast plains of Los Angeles, California where at school he was taking a Computer Engineering course. Fetching himself for the Philippines, he made northward direction of his career.

In retrospect, he was a member of a 5 member singing group called First Impression (FI), respectively; Jimmy Martinez (who made it with Jay-R to Manila), Alex Bacani, Mike Gabriel, Owen Amurao and he himself. Kris Kadevida, another talented singing hunk entered their fold when three of their members disbanded. Jay-R, Jimmy and Kris went on their way looking for fame through sharing their musical talents and acumen, even making it to other states in America.

Jay-R also sings with the band lead by his uncle Robert Sillona. His uncle became part also of the production of his “Soul In Love” album. Besides, Jay-R loves collaboration with other local artists that we have such as Gary Valenciano, Regine Velasquez; on bands he loves to rocks with Bamboo and a duet with Sarah Geronimo. He goes, “my dream collaboration definitely Gary Valenciano and Regine Velasquez. Sa mga bands, si Bamboo. With the younger generations I would love to do collaboration with Sarah Geronimo.” Just one regret and frown on his face, “now, I regret not doing a song with Francis Magalona so we are supposed to do a song a lot of times hindi lang natutuloy.”

Jay-R wished he would be associated with the song such as inculcating peace, endorsing unity and proclaiming love such as the song “We Are The World”by USA for Africa which is actually an All-Star collaboration of various black and white music heroes and heroines. “What about a song that hasn't been made yet. I wanna be part of the song like a world peace song like the song “We Are The World”. I wanna a song like that with a very heavy promotion to spread peace throughout the Philippines and the world,” he wished. Nonetheless, he made it his own by picking a song from his 'lists.' “But with my songs y’ung “Back In Time” y'ung duet namin ni Kyla. I can associate that with me kasi that song is about me,” he said.

His inspiration to just get better and better every day of his life is his fellow artists and musicians. He sees them as good as they are doing their own piece, and so he is inspired to emulate their hard works. Says Jay-R, “It's definitely inspiration to become a better artist, singer, producer everything kasi when you're on SOP with great musicians, you would want to do better, you wanna be like them. You would want to sing as high as them.” Divergent to other artists’ point-of-view about competition, Jay-R sees them as healthy to each and every one's career. “All your creative juices just come out so it's good to interact with different artist that are really really good. There is friendly competition, a healthy competition but nothing competitive in any negative way though. Being competitive is healthy to get better.”

He feels that his family is instrumental to his success as well as his real friends, maybe, in letting his feet on the ground despite growing fame and success, “I hang out with my family and talk to them and my real friends. As an artist you have to be responsible to keep your head on the ground.” He is far more at ease staying of Philippine ground due to his coolest experience just being here, “living here in the Philippines is the coolest experience ever kasi this is like a whole new world compared to the States its like a dream playing.”

Outside music, he loves playing basket ball or going to the gym, to tighten up few muscles probably. Far from that, he's planning for a brand new album, no other than an all-original songs in an all-original album. “My next original album. An original album that will sell a lot of records and everybody will like.”

Before entertaining further inquires, Jay-R shares his sentiments about music piracy and actually just getting used to it. “It's not going to change. I think what we have to do is get used to it. And about the art is being taken away kasi you put what you want on the album for people to see and people aren't going to see that 'coz you're downloading but I really think that we can't do anything about it. We just have to accept it. For the record labels it's really bad but for the artists though, its actually good. For the fans because you can have the music of your favorite artist for free just download it and if you're an artist you wouldn't actually mind that coz you want your fans to hear your music. It's not all about the money naman eh, it's about the fans.”

ALBUM TALKS
How did you prepare for 'Soul In Love'?
We grabbed my favorite songs that we used to sing with my uncle's band, The Howlers usually 'yung mga songs d'un are 70's songs. We put together that concept for this second album and a lot of practicing then we recorded it.

What made you decide to come out an all revival songs this time?
The real reason is because of the fans, of the audience this is what is selling e. This is what other people would want to hear. At first, I really don't want to do it kasi I'm all about original but I realized that the fans would want to hear this kind of music and so I just gave it a chance and did it.
What factors did you consider in choosing the songs that are included on the new record?
Those are the songs that I used to sing with my uncle's band back in the day before I started show business.

Since you've done cover songs, what do you enjoy about playing covers? How do you decide on which songs would work well as Jay R's songs?
For one thing the songs that I'm really hype kasi mahirap kumanta ng mga songs na matataas parang si Jed and so I choose the songs na mas mababa ng konti at saka y'ung mga songs na paborito ko. Pero y'ung mga best favorite songs ko I sing it live.

How do you feel this album differs from your previous album production wise?
This time someone handled the production for me usually I'm handling the production for my album so this time for the revivals Ito Rapadas ( OPM Label Manager of Universal Records) handled the production. He got all his musicians and his production team and his own resources.

How do you feel you've grown as an artist since recording 'Soul In Love'?
A lot actually this is something really new to me recording cover songs. It really thought me a lot. It humbled me because I'm not doing whatever I want to do; I'm really following what people want me to do.

Nowadays a lot of artists are doing cover songs, what is your point of view regarding this?
I'm actually happy it's been done so much that people are starting not to want that anymore. So I'm kinda happy about it kasi it's overdone na now is really the time for us artists to start stepping up and start writing songs for ourselves and be creative for the industry. It's a good time right now and soon enough it will be all originals na.

Do you have any sort of tentative time frame in coming out an all original album again after 'Soul In Love'?
Yeah, I do have a time frame in two years. Maybe one more year pa kasi we're doing a part 2 of the “Soul In Love” pa e. It will be out in four months so after that definitely I'm doing an all original album naman.

What prompted you to come out an all revival songs this time?
It's what the people want to hear right now and I wanted to try something new talaga. Something that I've never done before.

How did you motivate yourself for each song on the album?
There was not much motivation kasi it was fun singing it kasi all the songs that were chosen were the songs I used to sing with my uncle's band.
Do you think that there’s an advantage in going out and playing gigs and generating a buzz before actually releasing your album?
Most definitely yes. In that way people will know about you.
How do you approach studio recording? Do you attempt to recreate your live sound on the record or vice versa?
Live sound and the record and stuff although like the sounds right now but I definitely like the live performance.

Are there any other new instruments that you experimented with on the new album?
Yes a lot horns.

Of all the songs that you have on 'Soul In Love' is there one song that means more to you than the others?
I think “One Hundred Ways” just because it’s one of the songs that I grew up with. When I'm alone I just stay in the dark and listen to that song.

How do you prepare for the new record?
Vocalizing, practicing and getting my range higher and trying to do something really different.

How your album does reflect your personality?
My voicing – my kulot and RnB style.

How easy or difficult did you think it was to do your album?
No it wasn't difficult because I love all the songs in the album.

Did you have a lot of creative control with this album?
Yeah pero not that much.

What moods do you want your listeners to take away upon listening to your album?
I definitely want them to be relaxed and happy lang. I wanted to change their mood if they are in a bad mood.

'No One Else Comes Close' and 'Tender Love' are two of our favorite songs on the album. If you had limited power to make a video for the song and cast anyone in the lead role, who would the girl be?
Scarlet Johanson coz I know she's gonna give me a million hits on YouTube. Hilary Clinton just to be different. Locally I definitely prefer Kyla and Regine.


♫♫♫


No comments:

Post a Comment