Wednesday, December 8, 2010

MYRUS: A STAR IN THE MAKING


PROFILE:
Real Name: Myrhus Apacible
Nickname: Myrus or just My
Age: 19
Birthday: February 17, 1990

Can't live without:
My family
Recent splurge: Macbook Pro
Secret talent: Voice impressions. But please don’t tell Christian Bautista, Gary Valenciano, Ogie Alcacid, Kean Cipraino (of Callalily), Mark Bautista, Jay-R, and Champ that I can copy the way they sing and talk.
People would be surprised to find out that: I'm close to 6-feet tall. They actually think I'm short.
Must-have beverage: Water
Celebrity crushes: Sarah Geronimo and Paula Taylor. I hope that I get to work with them soon.
Fave childhood obsession: Amateur singing competitions. I’ve made a decent money out of these contests.
Most surreal fan moment: When someone gave me ice cream while belting out in a gig. I still ate it out of courtesy.
Biggest change: uhm... nobody knows na tatangkad ako ng ganito. Siguro sa height lang hehe!
Growing up, I was always.... been very shy. I still am until now, sometimes…
Favorite fan gift: Ice Cream ( hehe! )
I am totally addicted to: Facebooking, shopping, and making my own version of popular OPM songs.
Favorite record of all-time: The Very Best of Christopher Cross
Favorite hang-out: Tagaytay because it’s very close to my hometown, Dasmarinas, Cavite.


The blithe of personality, figure and comely voice defines a Myrus, a newly hewed voice from within his soul and from without his uplifting atmosphere. Like any other young aspirant out there, he is a little shy to come out to the open, but who's gonna stop him? Not even failures, I guess.

Myrus is now trying to inculcate his own style, engineer his future and as a whole enjoys whatever comes the way.

Myrus comes from a musical lineage. His parents sing well. One of his sisters trained him for an upstart of his talent.

After the discovery by Chris Cahilig on Friendster, a public relations entrepreneur, Myrus starts spreading his wings and learned to fly the OPM skyline. He was brought over to the scene by his single “Sayang” a melancholic original by Clair dela Fuente. He cached nomination for Best Solo RnB Artist for his first single “Laging Ikaw” during the Philippine Radio Music Awards and a lot more to come.

One of Myrus notable strength is his versatility and malleability of his voice. His repertoire includes various OPM artists such as Gary Valenciano, Ogie Alcasid, Janno Gibbs, and Martin Nievera. Some others, he tries tevie Wonder, Luther Vandross, Usher, Michael Jackson, Prince, Brian McKnight, Joe, and Eric Benet.

As of this juncture, Myrus is bracing and enjoying himself for a series of album launch. His debut album titled “Love Cycle” is not hitting record bars nationwide. He is doing promotion and launch at various SM Supermalls, and that’s 18 album shows. This includes hefty packages with everyone's participation and purchase of the album.

Myrus is showing more colors to catch eyes with the nation's media giant, ABS-CBN and GMA-7.
Your OPM Authority coveys a heartfelt gratitude for his presence with us sharing his time for a photo shot session and musical ideologies with us.

“I think it’s one of the dreams of every singer to be part of a variety show on televison. I hope I get that chance sooner,” Myrus says.


ON THE RECORD

When did you know you were a singer? At what point, in your life, did you decide that this is what you were born to do?
When I was three, my mom told me that I already couldn’t stop singing. I grew up joining singing competitions, building my dream to become a recording artist. I knew all along that this is what I want to do with my life.

How do you know your manager, Chris Cahilig?
Before they were audiotioning for a girl group. I dunno if you guys are familiar with Dream Girls? Their like Pussycat Dolls tapos one of the memebers of that group happened to be the sister of one my friends. He mentioned Sir Chris then I sent him an e-mail providing all my contact details. Then he called me and let me sung over the phone kasi ayaw naman niya ako papunta sa Manila to do a face-to-face audition tapos baka hindi rin naman ako makakapasa so sayang yung effort. I'm actually from Dasmarinas, Cavite. I was actually seventeen that time. Then the rest, they say is history.

What was it that led you into the music industry? Who inspired you? When did you know that this is what you were going to do?
From the moment I realize that music is my life, I didn’t stop dreaming. Everything though happened so fast. I was just a simple college student when my manager and producer Chris Cahilig discovered me in social network site Friendster. He is the one behind my budding career in music industry and I am glad to be given all these good breaks.

My inspiration is my family. Everything that I do is dedicated to them. I want to give them the good life that they deserve. They’ve been always with me 101% through this journey.

What do you love about being a singer?
Everything about it! I think being able to singer professionally is blessing.

What do you like to do in your free time?
I spend my free time with my family in our house in Dasmarinas, Cavite. I try to get a lot of rest too in preparation to my next busy schedule.

What's the response been from fans who have heard your new single, "Sayang"?
My cover of the song “Sayang” triggered public curiosity on me as an artist. I am flattered to have been told that I made the song relevant to the younger generation of music lovers-that my voice gave justice to the beauty of its melody and lyrics.

"Sayang" are blowing up all over the radio airwaves. What big things have you been doing lately?
There are so many good things happening lately. I would be having a charity concert Ms. Lea Salonga at the Big Dome on November 30. The Philippine Movie Press Club (PMPC) asked me to sing “Sayang” and become a presenter in the first Star Awards for Music. Aside from numerous corporate shows, I have an album tour in 23 SM Supermalls nationwide and a performance in MYX Mo! 2009 in November. Recently, Wowowee (ABS-CBN) gave me a spot number and it introduced me for the first time to my fans nationwide. My music video gets at least a thousand hits every day since the exposure.

Is there anyone whose career you emulate, particularly someone like you who's trying to bridge audiences and phases in your life?
I want to follow the footsteps of Michael Jackson career-wise, but not his early death.
You've been in the industry for a while. What's the biggest compliment you've received so far? Being called a hit maker. I never thought in my whole life that I would have a hit song. It’s fulfilling and inspiring.

Can you share the production process for this album like the preparations that you did?
Of course I released the Love Cycle then we came out the repackaged version. Actually
of all the songs I had only prepared for "Sayang" kasi at first kabado ako baka hindi magustuhan ni Ms. Claire yung version ko. Then I found out na nagustuhan naman pala niya. Yung preparations ko for the entire album, mabilis lang. Sandali lang talaga, pinag-aralan ko each songs.

Chris Cahilig (his manager): Actually yung initial sa paghanap ng materials, matagal since hindi pa kami kilala pero nung nakuha na naman siguro around 3 months.

How did you motivate yourself on each songs?
Ang ginagawa ko, nagpapa-kwento ako sa mga tao na na naka-experience on that particular situation likebroken-hearted. And ang isa pang ginagawa ko, ina-aral ko talaga yung kanta word per word para alam ko kung anong emotion yung ibibigay ko on each songs.

What's your favorite song on this album?
Actually I've got three favorite songs on the album; Ikaw Lamang, Bakit Hindi Ko Pa Na Sabi and of course, Sayang.

What made those three songs special to you?
Yung Ikaw Lamang, dapat hindi siya makakasama sa album pero sinabi ko na 'dapat isama n'yo 'yan sa album ko!' Alam mo lahat ng tao na nakakarinig ng song na iyan, talagang nagugustuhan nila yung song. A lot of people can really relate to that song.

What was the most challenging part of making this album?
Initially, our challenge was to gather enough songs that would make up the album. I am grateful that the couple Roberto and Celeste Gados and Ranciv Bisnar offered their original compositions to us.

Who choose on what songs are gonna include on the album?
Chris Cahilig: Me and my producer, John Ong with consultation with Myrus, of course. Siya rin yung gumagawa with Itchyworms, Kenyo and Gloc9 albums. He is a Filipino but he did some International like he did "Play" of Jennifer Lopez and "Butterlfy" of Mariah Carey.

While doing the album, do you have any particular artists/albums that you're listening to that somehow had a big impact on the creation on this album?
Michael Jackson. I am actually a big fan of him. Sa lokal naman, sina Gary Valenciano, Martin Nievera. I was amateur way back so their songs had a big influence on how I am as a singer.

What do you wanna accomplish as a solo artist?
I want to establish myself as a popular solo singer. I want to achieve what my music heroes had like Gary V. and Jay-R to name a few. Siyempre I want all the people who believe in me to be proud of me. I don't want them to dissapoint. So I make sure that every shows that I've have I considered them as my last performance and no-half baked. And gusto ng TV exposure because this is it! Nung lumabas yung "Sayang" nagkaroon ako ng so much confident about myself.

Why of all the songs that can revive, why "Sayang"?
Ang dami na kasing nag-rerevive ng foreign songs so why not revive our own, 'di ba? Parang nakalimutan na ng generation ngayon na kapag narinig nila yung song nag-iisip sila na, 'original ba 'yan?' And super nirerespeto ko Si Ms. Claire as an artist, talagang paborito namin siya ng mommy ko. Yung "Sayang" malaki talaga ang impluwensiya niyan sa buhay ko.

What is Ms. Claire dela Funte's reaction when she heard your version of her song?
After noon tinawag na niya akong 'anak!' (laughs). Ka-facebook ko siya and she always calls me. Super happy and proud siya sa song kasi yung version ko hindi naman nalalayo sa original rendition niya.

Was there any pressure doing that song?
Sobra. I listen to the original version of that song. Pero nung recording na hindi ko na pinakinggan kasi gusto ko naman lumabas yung sarili kong interpretation of that song.

What's with the album title, Love Cycle?
Kasi lahat naman na-iinlove. And since lahat ng na-inlove for sure na-experience na masakatan. "Love Cycle" kasi na-in love ka, nasaktan ka tapos ma-iin love ka uli so paikot-ikot lang siya, parang buhay natin.

How would you describe your music to a non-Myrus listener?
Alam n'yo yung tunog nina Raymond Lauchengco, Dingdong Avansado, mga ganun medyo mas bata lang ng unti kasi yung mga kanta ko ganun yung tema. Ang ginawa ko lang na atake medyo fresh, young and pinoy na pinoy yung dating na pasok sa panlasa ng mga Filipino.

What are you hoping to accomplish for this album?
Gusto ko bumenta ng sobra yung album. Now that it reached Gold, I want to make it on Platinum status. and I'm really hoping that it will leave a mark to those people who listened to the album.

Chris Cahilig: His album "Love Cycle" went gold after two weeks of release though we didn't highlight but yeah, it's official.

Given a chance, who do you wanna collaborate with?
Hindi naman ako choosy when it comes to do a collaboration. Kahit sino p'wede. Pero If I'm gonna given a chance, I want to have a duet with Sarah Geronimo, Kyla and Rachelle Ann Go. And also Gretchen Espina, one of my closest friends.


♫♫♫

Special Thanks to: Pinoy Song Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment