Wednesday, December 8, 2010

ERIK, RACHELLE, JAY R, SITTI and CHAMP: A COLLAGE OF VOICES


FIVE MULTI-PLATINUM ARTISTS GATHER FOR PINOY SONGMAG 6th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL!

It's another round-up from your OPM Music authority this 6th anniversary issue as we gather some of the best, if not the finest pearl of our OPM shores. In a clamshell, they are the “mix of voices.” In a potpourri, they are the mix of aromatic herbs and seasoning that exudes a whiff of vocal synergy and performance that breaks a leg.

This mix of voices garners the R&B Prince Jay-R, the high-hitting vocal Rachelle Ann Go, the Bossa Nova heroine Sitti, the soulful balladeer Erik Santos and the Hale front man Champ. They all together pay tribute to this special issue that we have and you have right now, while we give them our salute on the same hefty pages of your OPM Authority.

It’s not just another music magazine you flip and spin into your shelves and then bites dusts!

Here, we’re doing it with authority and therefore we speak with authority. Strictly, no copycat, just the original. The scepter’s power came from the fact that we’ve robbed face to face and skin to skin with them – once, twice, trice and perhaps counting. They have our words and we have their inner thoughts shared to us up close and personal – and its official.

Each of them has stories to tell, questions to answer and something to deny, but duh, you’ll get it as they’ve said.

In this issue, nothing else matters but the hottest, the latest and the satisfaction you’ll get as we have tried our best, and we hope so it pays justice.

Know about how these guys and gals face big or small things in their life, how they have stayed that long in the industry despite the mushrooming contemporary competitions or competitors. You’ll be glad to know how much time, sweat and tears they have spent just to come up with their crowned jewel – their albums. Even more, we’ll learn how they have made it to the top of their individual career so that you and I might as well learn that the more a thing is coveted the more that it’s a hard-won reality to invest in this life. Nonetheless, it isn’t impossible.

The Mix Of Voices will tell you how it is possible…


ON THE RECORD

How is everything? What big things have you been doing lately?
JAY-R: Everything is going well and busy. The biggest thing na ginawa ko so far is 'yung "Kaya Natin Ito" project led by Ogie Alcasid and Regine Velasquez. We had 75-80 singers sa Pilipinas. Lahat sila pumunta sa studio and it was pretty exciting. I'm working on a couple of albums right now. Tinatapos ko 'yung Peace and Inspirational album and the Christmas album is coming out next month in the stores.
RACHELLE ANN: Well, kakatapos lang ng concert “True Champions.” I’m very happy kasi parang kami y'ung nag-direk n'ung show. Kami ang pumili lahat ng lineup.After that project, I’ll be having a meeting with Boss Vic (del Roario of Viva) for my next album. Wala pa kaming plano if all original y'ung album. And I think baka by next year na y'ung out n'un.
SITTI: Maraming nangyari sa akin na super big, big talaga. I tried theater for the first time. We had 12 shows sa RCBC in Makati n'ung September to October. The experience is really something that I'll always treasure. Sobrang dami kong natutunan with regards to theater.
ERIK: My album, the Jim Brickman Songbook, naka-release s'ya sa ten countries in Asia. Yun, that's what makes me exited about my album.
CHAMP: For Hale, we've been promoting heavily "Bahay Kubo" and so far it really paid off. So far, it received massive airplay on different radio stations and the video reached number 1 for three weeks. It's been a good run. Now, we're getting ready to release the second single "Kalesa". For Treehouse (his production outsfit) naman, we conducted an outreach program for Ondoy and Pepeng victims. It's been a productive couple of months for Hale.

To what do you owe your longevity? And how do you hope to achieve longevity in this business?
JAY-R: I think as a singer, dapat gumawa ako ng magandang music lagi to sustain my career.
RACHELLE ANN: I owe it sa mga taong sumusuporta sa akin, given na d'yan y'ung family ko, mga fans ko na tinatawag ko ng friends. Sa kanila talaga ako sobrang nagpapasalamat, nad'yan sila for me. Mahirap din kasi kunin ang loyalty dahil sa daming lumalabas na new artist ngayon. So nagre-reinvent din ako ng sarili ko.
SITTI: S'yempre maraming puyatan at sakripisyong ginawa. Sa akin kasi matagal akong nagtrabaho so I huggle my time between my studies and singing.
ERIK: Of course to my family, then of course to my manager.
CHAMP: First to the whole band, I think I always say this the strength of Hale is each other. We work as a team, we work as a group so I think as long as we keep that intack that formula, that chemistry, we will continue to produce good music and at the same time fans, friends and colleagues who support us.

With such a successful albums, did you feel pressure from the business to be conservative and stick with a formula that worked?
JAY-R: Most of the time 'yung ginagawa ko gusto ko, so happy ako. Hindi ako mahilig kumanta ng ibang genre. I have plans of trying other genres pero not for myself para sa iba siguro. Hindi ako mahilig kumanta ng ibang genre kundi RnB lang pero my niece 'yung banda nila Clay is alternative. I'm producing them so we are doing a lot of alternative live music and recording. I guess I'm open to try other music pero hindi para sa akin para sa iba.
RACHELLE ANN: May formula ba? Gusto ko gawin y'ung music ko talaga na gindi ko pa nagagawa. Honestly, y'ung type of music ko hindi ko ma-explain kung medyo jazzy, na may konting blues na reggae na halo-halo siya. Pinarinig ko nga ito sa aking management medyo alanganin pa sila kasi nga dito sa atin mga Pinoy hindi pa gan'un naa-accept y'ung ganung type of music. Basta ayaw ko kasi y'ung mag-stick lang ako sa isang genre. Gusto ko mag-experiment ng ibang klaseng music. Masyado na kasi ako masyadong nata-typecast as belter di ba? Mas masarap kasi ang feeling as an artist y'ung nagagawa mo y'ung gusto mo at masaya ka.
SITTI: Right now, 4th studio album ko na ito and then all of the albums that I've made, they were all majorly covers konti lang 'yung original songs so for the next album talagang I'm really really looking na more original contents sana. For me, kahit na it will take two years or mas matagal kasi right now ang intervals ng albums ko 1 year apart then may ire-release na kami. Sa akin walang pressure from the industry to conform so sana 'yung next album ko more original contents and I'd really prepared for.
ERIK: As a balladeer, wholesome kasi y'ung image, then 'yun y'ung minahal sa akin ng tao eh. And I'm willing to reinvent and I'm ready for anything na pagbabago sa music at kung ano y'ung (gusto nila) kumbaga p'wede naman tayong sumunod sa uso eh.
CHAMP: You always have to consider the business side of music which the recording has not fail to address but as a musician the core should always be above creativity. If you just recycle music and just stick to one formula that is not being creative or innovative.

Comparisons are inevitable and people are always comparing you to your contemporaries. What are your thoughts on those comparisons?
JAY-R: We all have our own trademarks even if we get compared to our contemporaries but its fine with me, I consider it as healthy competition. I'm glad to see my fellow contemporaries doing good as well.
RACHELLE ANN: Given na y'un, kasi ganito naman talaga sa showbiz. Kung sino y'ung nauna i-compare sa bago. Ako umpisa pa lang kumabaga sumabak na ako sa gan'ung thinking ng tao. Kaya nakapag-adjust agad ako sa gan'ung thought ng mga Pinoy. Pero it's a healthy competition naman hindi namin dahil gusto kong angatan y'ung isa. Pero gusto mo ipakita kung ano y'ung kaya mong gawin.
ERIK: We cannot avoid naman yung comparison ng isang artista sa isang artista or singer sa isang singer. For me kasi, mas nagpo-focus ako sa kaya kung ibigay, sa magagawa ko kaysa mag-focus ka d'un sa rivalry mo with other artist. Dapat mag-focus ka d'un sa what you can give to the audience. I think that's the most important thing na gawin ng isang artista o ng isang singer na katulad ko.
SITTI: Hindi ko siya maiiwasan gan'un naman talaga ang mga Pinoy, they usually compare the singer's styles and band styles to others. Sa akin, I don't really pay much attention to this. Pinagbubutihan ko na lang 'yung music na ginagawa ko. Kahit kami lang ng mga ka-banda ko basta nag-eenjoy kami sa tugtugan kahit walang nanunuod basta masaya 'yung tugtugan masaya ka na rin.

A lot of people think you basically came out of nowhere not knowing how hard you really worked to get where you are today. How hard was it to actually "be successful"?
JAY-R: In the beginning parang naka-tsamba lang ako that time kasi, walang male singer na Rnb so n'ung nilabas ako parang everyone was interested. It was easy actually but the hard part was jumping into it. You embrace the whole industry kasi it's my first time doing something like this mainstream kasi ang Pilipinas so ang daming trabaho kaagad. Everyday interviews and photo shoots, recordings and tapings...lahat pati rehearsals. So the hardest part is to sustain it. To keep working and not get lazy and keep giving the fans the music they like pero it's pretty hard in the beginning though parang naka-tsamba lang ako but sustaining it, is the hardest part.
RACHELLE ANN: For me its not that hard, hindi ko naman sinasabing successful ako ngayon pero I’m happy kung nasaan ako ngayon. Since nagsimula ako sa mga singing competition hindi naman y'ung sinasabi ng iba na sinuwerte lang 'yan. Sa akin naman talagang pinaghirapan ko rin naman. Sa mga paghihirap kong y'un nag-e-enjoy naman ako. Sa bawat step na y'un, I really enjoy it, bawat album at concert na ginagawa ko. Dahil masaya ako doing it kaya hindi ko nararamdaman na nahirapan ako.
SITTI: May mga times na nagi-gig kami 3 set sa isang gabi minsan wala pa ngang nanunuod. Laging puyat ka minsan nababawasan na 'yung time mo for your family and for yourself. Nagkakaroon din ng challenge na make every performance a unique one especially right now na parang repetitive na 'yung mga songs ginagawa namin so importante na I don't get burned out kasi if I get burned out baka 'yun ang makita ng mga tao sa akin when I perform. Kung wala 'yung mga sumusuporta sa akin wala rin ako dito ngayon.
ERIK: Ako naman I've never planned all of this to happen siguro it's God's will na mangyari ang lahat ng ito. Of course medyo mahirap for me, because I came just from a normal student. Then I joined Star In A Million, I won , then everything started from there.
CHAMP: That's true, the fact that we just popped-out of nowhere has its pros and cons. 'Yung pros n'ya, s'yempre everyone was curious about us. 'Yung negative naman 'dun there were a lot of criticisms and cynical people saying that we didn't earn our keep at the underground scene which is not true naman. Everyone starts indie and spend time sa underground scene and we were just fortunate that our creativity paid off and a label was just willing to sign an unknown band and heavily promote it. So it's not our fault if they gambled on us.

Can you share a sad experiences before you become successful to who you are right now? What have you learned with that experience?
JAY-R: Before na pumunta ako dito ang buhay ko music talaga kahit na hindi pa ako mainstream andoon ako sa States sa bahay ng nanay ko. Sa kwarto ko I have my own studio and my life revolves on music. And then it came to a point that I was hearing from my friends and different family members na parang wala namang nagyayari sa music ko so they were pursuiding and advising me to go to school beacuse I was still very young, around 19 or 20 at that time. So I took Computer Engineering but I've never satisfied. I just kept doing music even while at school, then then I got my break but the sad part was I came to a point that my hopes were really down and I was ready to give up.
RACHELLE ANN: Siguro y'ung mga tao sa paligid. S'yempre that time kapag nakakarinig ako ng hindi maganda about me, s'yempre bata pa ako n'un, pumapasok talaga sa puso ko y'un. So that time iniiisip ko siguro hindi nga talaga ako magaling. Kasi nga ang daming pumupuna. Mahirap y'un pero pinakita ko na lang sa tao na kaya ko ito. Actually, mahirap din naman kasing i-please lahat ng tao eh. At the end of the day naman ikaw din y'ung pagod. Ipakita mo lang kung ano ang kaya mong gawin ng wala kang natatapakan.
SITTI: Wala akong naiisip na very sad experience except siguro n'ung college ako na medyo natakot lang ako na I might not be able to graduate on time or I might not be able to finish my studies. Before I was gigging everyday 5 times a week and then I had to drop off some subjects and some units so 'yun siguro ang pinaka biggest scare for me pero I started singing Bossa without any expectations that I will make it big. Siguro malaking factor 'yun na n'ung biglang nag-hit 'yung album I was just going with the flow, wala namang expectation na kailangan ganito, kailangan ganyan basta nag-eenjoy lang ako.
ERIK: In my six years here in showbiz, I learned to be more patient, to be more kind to people, I've learned to appreciate every single thing that God has given me. At mas naapreciate at minahal ko y'ung pamilya ko at mas minahal ko y'ung trabaho ko.
CHAMP: I'd have to say when Omni (their former drummer) left the band. I was just really devastated and at the same time it made the whole band matured and learned from everyone's mistakes.

The music business has changed so much with illegal downloading and such. Has that forced artists like yourself to change their approach to their product?
JAY-R: Very true especially for the record label kasi kung walang record label walang magpro-promote sa amin so you have to listen to the record label pero sa akin, I just want to put my music out no matter what inspite of piracy. I'm against piracy of course, pero most people here in the Philippines are at the level of poverty and not everyone is capable to buy the original CD di ba? Lahat ng record labels ngayon ang marketing approach ay sa packaging. Walang bibili ng album kung hindi maganda 'yung packaging.
RACHELLE ANN: Yeah. Kasi sa pirated naman walang naman silang special packaging eh. Now kasi yung mga new albums na lumalabas talagang kakaiba na rin eh. Iba nga ang laki, libro na siya (laughs) and actually we as artists we are force to do that na rin just to compete with the piracy naman. Kailangan maganda y'ung album packaging para ma-attract agad y'ung bibili.
SITTI: I think that's something for the record companies to really cope with. When I came out naman kasi although hindi pa gan'un katalamak 'yung piracy I knew how to deal with it already. Minsan naiinis ako na sana bumili naman kayo ng original pero naiintindihan ko sila kasi kung iyon lang lang 'yung budget nila e gusto ka nga nilang pakinggan. Hindi ko masyadong prinoproblema.
ERIK: That's beyond our control eh. Siguro y'ung recording label namin, where we are in, siguro sila y'ung medyo may say about downloading. That's the in thing today, paran dyan na papunta eh. Pero parang tinatanggalan din kami (rights), kumbaga may epekto 'yan sa hanap-buhay namin bilang singers, ganun din, talagang it's beyond our control, all we have to do is pag-igihan pa namin y'ung ginagawa namin.
CHAMP: Definitely being a musician is very hard. Unlike in 2005 and 2006 it's very hard to sell albums. Now, as an artist you just have to cope up with what's happening. You have to innovate and make yourself marketable. You have to create more ideas, you have to be more catchy and more unique songs for you to stand out so it's very hard. I think the music industry now is in a precarious situation but then as a musician this is what we do, this is our passion we just have to cope up with it.

What were your biggest influences, lyrically & musically, for this new record?
JAY-R: In the new record, its actually the Black Eyed Peas definitely y'ung "Where Is the Love" nila. It has a good message and they want to spread good music and happiness to everyone and 'yung mga "We Are The World" mga gan'un theme, inspirational and peace especially after Ondoy y'ung mga typhoon na nangyari. For my album this time, may collaboration ako with Kyla this time, si Q-York, si Jimmy Muna, Gloc9, Kris Lawrence. Dalawang album ang ginagawa ko ngayon 'yung isa ako ang nagpro-produce y'ung isa si kuya Ito (Rapadas of Universal Records).
SITTI: I really listen to the Bossa Nova classics like Jobim and Gal Costa. 'Yung influences ko more or less gan'un pa rin, Kevin Luis Pah, Patti Austin and Norah Jones kumbaga hindi siya nagbabago and per album hindi siya 'yung iba't-iba ang pinapakinggan ko para makuha 'yung something. More of sa kanta, I research on the background of the song, kung paano siya kinanta, bakit siya sinulat. I really try to put myself on the life of the song.

Is there anyone whose career you emulate , particularly someone like you who's trying to bridge audiences and phases in your life?
JAY-R: Sina Regine Velasquez at Sharon Cuneta. The most common trait about them is that they work hard until now and still humble. They are the highest ranking singers in our country pero they still work hard sina Ogie, Gary V, Regine and Sharon.
RACHELLE ANN: I think pagdating sa style, pagre-reinvent si Ms. Redge (Regine Velasquez) talaga. Kapag tiningnan mo from the year she started ibang klase. Pati y'ung music niya, hindi siya nag-stick. Natutuwa ako, sana maging ganun y'ung maging dating na mag-reinvent para hindi magsawa y'ung tao. Pagdating naman sa performance wise si Ms. Lani (Misalucha). Parang all type of music, rock, opera, ballads as in sobrang ang galing. Silang dalawa talaga.
SITTI: Wala naman, nag-eenjoy lang at sobrang going with the flow lang talaga. May mga super idol ako sina Jackie Magno when it comes to voice. Performance naman si Vernie Varga and vocal energy. 'Yung mga gan'un lang talagang nag-eenjoy lang ako.
ERIK: Marami, the likes of Martin and Garry V. Malaki ang naging epekto nila sa akin. At ang musika ni Basil Valdez. Their music are my foundation as I grew up and as I learn more new things as far as my singing is concerned.
CHAMP: I try to emulate Coldplay as a band. They stick together as a group. There is no superstar in the band. Everyone tries to delegate a specific task so its a collective effort and they don't force anything. They take things at their own place. I think they're planning on taking another break of years to spend time with their families. We see that its a balance work ethic in personal life and work life so I like that.

How did you grow as an artist since you started?
JAY-R: I think I grew a lot. My eyes are wide open now more compared to when I'm just starting out in the industry. And as time goes by, you'll learn a little of tricks. So as far as my artistry definitely I have grown a lot and it's like everytime when you're in the studio and you do an update, parang you make new music and it gets better and better all the time so I think I've grown in that aspect too.
RACHELLE ANN: I dont know (smiles). Personally, iba na y'ung emotion kasi kapag pinapanood ko y'ung performace ko dati parang very technical siya, walang puso and makikita y'un sa mata. Sabi ko, napaka wala kong kwentang kumanta (laughs). Ngayon talaga ibang-iba na, siguro kasi with all the experiences naman may napaghuhugutan na ako ng emotions ko when performing. I think y'un ang pinaka importanteng nagbago sa akin as a singer. To put an emotion for every song that I sung.
SITTI: If you consider 'yung tunog n'ung album na Contagious medyo naiiba siya sa tunog n'ung iba kasi I think with Contagious nadagdagan siya ng konting depth. Nadagdagan siya ng konting kalungkutan kasi d'un sa mga previous parang happy-happy 'yung tunog.
CHAMP: As an artist, you're more appreciative of your blessings. You're more grateful and thankful for the opportunity given. A lot of people are saying we came out strong with "Bahay Kubo" and that's a very good sign and we're just thankful that we were able to do that kasi I think this album is really very special so we want to give justice to the album.

Which song of you , that you always looking forward to perform the most? Why?
JAY-R: I like "Back In Time" with Kyla because we have a great chemistry on stage.
RACHELLE ANN: I think y'ung "Don’t Cry Out Loud" talaga, hinahanap-hanap ng tao. Alam mo ba that song sa sobrang palagi ko siyang kinakanta dumating talaga y'ung time na y'ung lyrics nagra-rumble na sa utak ko. Sa isip ko nagsasawa na ata ko to sing that song, pero ngayon sabi ko hindi p'wede kasi y'un talaga y'ung song ko, kaya inayos ko talaga. At yung "Bakit" din na song ko, it's an original kasi. Y'ung mga bata sinasabayan talaga nila y'un.
SITTI: 'Yung "This is Love" and "Adia". "This is Love" kasi nakikita ko 'yung reaction ng audience kapag naririnig nila 'yung lyrics and then 'yung progression n'un song parang kinikilig sila. "Adia" naman naniniwala kasi talaga ako sa message n'ung song na kahit na may mga nangyayaring masama sa mundo we're still all beautiful and pure.
ERIK: Syempre yung "This Is The Moment". It is the most important song in my life.
CHAMP: "Sandali Na Lang" and "Bahay Kubo". "Sandali Na Lang' because it's new and good song. "Bahay Kubo" because I wrote it and I listen to it a lot in my iPOD which I rarely do kasi minsan weird kapag pinapakinggan mo ang sarili mong kanta pero with "Bahay Kubo" paulit-ulit ko siyang kinakanta at pinapakinggan. I was just so happy with the arrangement and with the execution - the recording.

Are you happy with your position now and everything you have achieved?
JAY-R: I'm happy but I'm not satisfied kasi I'm still growing.
RACHELLE ANN: I’m happy sa lahat, I feel so blessed kasi hindi naman lahat sinu-swerte dito sa business na ito. Talagang ang hirap makarating dito. Kapag sumasali ka sa competition ang hirap manalo, mahirap makita ng mga producers. I’m happy kung saan man ako ngayon, nasa ASAP ako, sa sobrang daming artists at nabibigyan pa kami ng break kahit papaano. I’m so thankful talaga.
SITTI: Yes, I'm happy and enjoying pero marami pa rin akong gustong gawin. Gusto ko talagang makagawa ng album na mas marami 'yung original songs. Naghahanap pa ako ng mas ma-explore ko pa 'yung sarili ko 'yung mga kaya ko pang gawin hinahanap ko pa 'yun and I'm excited na para d'un. I need someone to guide me or someone who will push the bottom kasi alam ko meron pa akong mailalabas.
ERIK: Yes I'm happy, actually isa yan sa mga natutunan ko, to learn to appreciate nga what you have kung ano man y'ung blessings na ibinigay ng Diyos sa akin ngayon, I am contented and I am happy. (But) I'm open to opportunities also so I strive more harder.
CHAMP: Definitely! No regrets. When we came out naman just do your best, no regrets and make everything worthwhile.


KNICK-KNACKS

What are your other extravagances?
JAY-R: 'Yun project ko sa banda ng pamangkin ko, Clay. We are entering them for a contest y'ung Jeepney Music, record label of Apl de Ap. We are doing a lot of recording and we're finishing an album for them. I'm going to shoot my music video for my Christmas album for next year. We're going to do it sa States pag-uwi ko sa December. We will also do a music video for Clay and that will be under my record label Homeworks Records. Materialwise, hindi ako mahilig sa gamit its all studio equipments. Pang-music lang talaga like pianos and keyboards, mixing equipments, speakers and computers. I like to spend my money on that.
RACHELLE ANN: Kuripot kasi ako eh (laughs) ano ba? Mahilig ako sa shoes pero hindi talaga ako mahilig sa mga branded. Alam mo y'ung mga LV, Gucci, na ang ma-mahal, hindi ako ma-ganun. Mas very practical (smiles) I buy y'ung unique na mura, dati bumili ako ng branded pero sale y'un. May pinag-iipunan kasi ako ngayon eh, y'ung bahay (smiles).
SITTI: More of eating out and dinning out with friends, family and colleagues then more of travelling.
ERIK: Food (his actually filling up while answering the question).
CHAMP: Electronics and mga gadgets. Ma-gadget akong tao.

What music do you listen to yourself and who do you admire musically?
JAY-R: Stevie Wonder, Luther Vandross. Right now in my CD player I have Mario, his first album. Locally, sila Ogie, Gary and Regine.
RACHELLE ANN: Y'ung music na gusto kong gawin, y'ung medyo jazzy like the music of Kerri Novel, Michelle Featherstone, Regina Specktor, yang mga ‘yan.
SITTI: 'Yung music ko nag-eevolve lang d'un sa mga pinapakinggan ko more or less Bossa nova and Jazz. Minsan may punk, pop-rock. I love watching Yosha play para siyang acid jazz plus punk local band underground siya. I really enjoy local artist like Urbandub ang galing ng lyrics nila. With regards to like who I listen to vocally, sa local si Jackie Magno sobrang ganda ng boses niya sobrang galing.
CHAMP: Aside from Coldplay, I listen to Reggae music when I take a bath. Masarap promise.

Is it hard dealing with fame? Do fans act crazy?
JAY-R: Behave mga fans ko kasi I know a lot of my fans. Kapag crazy sila alam nila magagalit ako or they will hear from me.
RACHELLE ANN: Sa akin hindi naman sila ganun eh. Kasi nakakapag-mall pa naman ako, wala naman chaos na nangyayari, normal pa rin naman. Y'un nga lang kapag merong bagong dumating na intriga, kapag nag-mall ka titingnan ka nila pero ako deadma na lang. Pero okay lang naman, dapat act normal lang.
SITTI: Sa akin kasi what you see is what you get. Tahimik lang talaga ako pero kapag tinopak ako topak talaga ako. Nakakatawa nga kapag nag-mall show kami sa mga probinsya, grabe silang mag-assign ng security, ako naman hindi naman ako pinagkakaguluhan masyado. There was a time before na naweirdohan ako na kapag kakain ako biglang may magpapa-picture. Before may weirdness ngayon nasanay na rin ako.
ERIK: Each artist naman has his or her own concept of fame, it depends on my own concept of fame. My concept of fame is so related with success. So, parang it depends on the level of success that a certain artist achieve. And being the same person as I used to even before na wala pa ako sa showbiz, pero 'pag sa labas, of course I've got to meet a lot of different people. So, dapat kailangan palaging positive y'ung outlook mo para maging positive din y'ung mag-rereflect sa'yo. Kasi you're being idolize eh, you are being put on a pedistal ng mga fans mo. You have to set a good example.
CHAMP: As long as you don't let it get into your head. You always have to be level headed and grounded. Our fans get excited but not act crazy.

What's the one misconception you feel people just don't get about you?
JAY-R: The mayabang-ness just because I'm from the States.
RACHELLE ANN: That I am a snob (laughs). Lahat sila kapag tinanong mo sila Erik, Sarah, Yeng, Jed lahat ng ka-trabaho ko ngayon tanungin mo first impression nila sa akin ganun. Si Yeng nga sabi niya 'di daw niya alam na magiging ka-close kita. Sabi ko bakit naman? Sabi niya, feeling daw niya ang supla-supalada ko. Kasi hindi ako y'ung ma-chika agad. Ayaw ko naman kasi masabihan pa ako ng ‘feeling naman nito’ y'ung ganun. Unless they would get to know me na, magbabago na y'ung impression nila sa akin.
SITTI: I think some people think that I'm a manufactured Bossa nova singer when in fact I've been singing ilang taon.
ERIK: Akala nila suplado ako, pero hindi.
CHAMP: I can't think of any.

Is there anyone you would really like to work with or meet?
JAY-R: Si Gary V and Regine Velasquez. Sa younger generation si Charice Pempengco and Sarah Geronimo.
RACHELLE ANN: Si Rico Blanco. Gusto ko siyang maka-trabaho. Sinabi niya sa akin na magtulungan kami sa isang kanta. I told him kasi na sumusulat ako ng kanta, Anyway, gusto ko y'ung music niya, y'un lang (laughs).
ERIK: Siguro in the future international artists. Kaya lang patay na y'ung gusto kong makasama. Sino ba? Jayson Mraz, Usher and Josh Groban.
CHAMP: I'm planning a collaboration with Parokya Ni Edgar by mid next year. We're just finalizing everything. Sana matuloy.

How much does your family depend on you and how much do you depend on them?
JAY-R: I depend on them a lot in terms of moral support such as love and understanding. I talk to them a lot and get some advice.
RACHELLE ANN: Ako sobrang I depend on them talaga lalo na ngayon na marami akong pinagdadaanan sa buhay ko (laughs). Mahirap din kasi basta magtiwala. And y'ung mga true friends ko naman sobrang busy rin. Sino pa ang lagi kong kasama kundi my family lang talaga.
SITTI: My family depends on me a lot morally kasi parang ako 'yung nagiging nanay sa bahay namin. I also depend a lot on my family when it comes to guidance and spirituality.
ERIK: Lahat na ng support; financial, moral, spiritual, lahat na ng support na I can give them.
CHAMP: As my support system, my family is very important. When you're feeling down and you need someone to talk to it's always family and friends. So it's very important that you have a strong support system kasi we're only humans. We have times when were down and lost so having family around is a big help.

What are the plans for the rest of the year? What is up next for you as far as music in concerned?
JAY-R: My plan is to make OPM rise again. Do an all-original music again. I want to penetrate Asia with my music.
RACHELLE ANN: I’m not so sure actually (smiles). Pagdating sa acting wala akong naririnig. And kung ako rin y'ung tatanungin I’m not that interested. Siguro talagang focus lang ako sa music. Ang plano namin dalhin sa US yung ‘True Champion' na concert. And mukhang magkakaroon ng repeat (laughs). We will be touring sa mga provinces, sa Canada and then sa States. Pagdating naman sa album, we will be having a meeting by next week (as of press time) nothing definite pa naman about it. So far siguro y'un muna. But I’m hoping sana puro composition ko na (laughs). Parang story of my life (smiles).
SITTI: May upcoming US tour kami with ASAP sessionistas. This November 21 may back to back show kami ni Erik Santos sa Aliw Theater, 'yun 'yung pinaka-major event namin this year. It's my first time to perform at the Aliw Theater, excited ako d'un. My album is still out in the market. We're not working on a new album as of the moment.
ERIK: I just want to stay in the show business. Goal ko lang talaga is to sustain whatever career I have right now, para masustain ko y'ung pag-support ko sa pamilya at ma-sustain ko rin y'ung support na binibigay ng fans sa akin.
CHAMP: For this year, we just want to close the year right. Playing as many gigs as possible. We are really happy that the album is doing well. We just want to share the music - tugtog lang ng tugtog. Release the second single which is "Kalesa" and make a very nice music video and hopefully next year will bring more blessings.

♫♫♫

Special Thanks to: Pinoy Song Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment