Wednesday, December 8, 2010

MEDWIN MARFIL: IN A TRUEFAITH STINT


Medwin Marfil is a laudable vocal leader of the long living band Truefaith. Since his vocal leadership, the band has gone far and famous on the OPM platform archiving more or less 13 albums on the shelves.

Medwin Marfil makes it clear that singing is his passion ever since the world began for him. It has been part and parcel of his soul. And he has a vision to share his talent and let the people enjoy his music, the way he's doing things to himself. His career would never been this way if his been into bad influence to himself and those around him. Med quoted those who are about to stay on the track that he is now to stay out of drugs, always be grateful to others, keep learning and of course – feet on the ground!

Now Med shred few of his time capitulating and making his mind for some queries for the “Musician Of The Month.”


ON THE RECORD
Do you know how to play any musical instruments?
Apparently, I don’t know how to play any instrument properly. I’m really indolent. But I promised myself to learn the guitar and keyboards this year. I hope I keep that promise. He he Oh yes, my voice. It is my instrument- the most natural one at that!

You've been in the music scene for quite some time now. How do you think that's affected the kind of musician you are?
I’m more relaxed. There really is not much pressure unlike when we started out in the 90’s. Pero I still get nervous during TV appearances and regular shows. I have to re-learn sometimes being confident about our craft especially when it’s a day na gusto ko lang magtago from the world.

What's your first memory of someone else's music changing your life?
When I first saw the video of Duran Duran’s The Reflex I thought, “Wow, I wanna do that!” And from then on I never looked back.

How did those records shape who you are as a musician?
I listened to a lot of Nat King Cole, The Beatles, Shirley Bassey as a kid. During my teens I was into Duran Duran, R.E.M., U2! I was a very lonely kid; and I stayed a lot sa bahay lang. Listening to the radio and playing my favorite L.P.’s made me feel that there should be better days for me in the future. And the good days did come. I write songs now that can inspire kids who might feel detached. New song of faith and inspiration are in the new album, LOVE PARADE!

Who were your music heroes as a kid?
Michael Stipe of REM, U2, Duran Duran, EBTG… dami actually!

When you dealt with tough situations growing up, how much of a role did music play in helping you get through them?
Listening to the radio and playing my favorite music inspired me to make music and give me hope that my sad state back then would somehow pass.

What kept you pursuing a career in music?
Music became my passion since High School. I always felt that I’d be in the music industry eventually.

How important was music in your upbringing?
Very important! Everyone in the family loves music. It can’t be a proper family affair if the stereo ain’t playing music.

What advice do you have for people searching for an artist to inspire them?
There’s always an artist out there who’s feeling what you’re feeling; singing the songs your heart wants to sing. Go and find them in the internet, in a bar, in the record store.

What's your ultimate objective as a vocalist and as a songwriter?
Make people enjoy their lives and be happy.

For some writers the motivation is that burden, that you have to get what's inside of you out and down on paper. How is it with you?
A couple of beers will help me ease the words out and the melody to take shape in my head.

Was writing something that'd you'd always wanted to do?
I used to write songs when I was a child and just kept them to myself. I always felt that writing poems and songs would be my drill. I plan to go back to college and study literature and psychology- I wanna write a book!

Are there new bands you think are worth bringing to attention?
I love Coldplay- I saw them twice na and will watch them in every tour they do! Paborito ko ngayon are Wild Beasts, Kasabian,I Am Kloot, Magic Numbers. Sa local, Up Dharma Down, Corporate Lo-fi, Out of Body Special, Camerawalls… madami!

Any tips for making live performances sound good?
Just enjoy the show. Have a round or two with your bandmates! Realize inspiration from any source. Ask for Divine assistance from the Infinite or the Universe. Always do your best!

What kind of practice regimen do you keep?
I sing whenever I can. I sing when I’m drunk and when I’m listening to great music! I run a lot- that should keep my body especially my lungs healthy. I sleep enough hours- 6 to 8!

What particular song you'd like to be associated with and why?
“Perfect” because that started out Truefaith’s career.

Any advice for beginning musicians?
Be original. Stay away from drug and alcohol abuse. Abuse of any kind is wrong. Keep learning from others; from your musical idols; from your life experiences. Never be pompous- stay humble. Be grateful sa lahat!

What can we expect from True Faith this 2010?
New album (9th studio album), LOVE PARADE will be out 3rd week of Feb 2010! 12 new songs with guests Armi of Up Dharma Down, Carlos of Out Of Body Special, Ryan Armamento of Corporate Lo-fi, Luke Mejares and Dix Lucero. Very new wave-y record; lush 80’s synth pop tunes! I swear it’s a great record! Everyone must have a copy! Cheers! World tour this year: Canada, U.S.A., Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand, Middle East! J


TOP 5 Albums to play along to:

1. Two Dancers- Wild Beasts

2. Viva La Vida- Coldplay

3. The Unforgettable Fire- U2

4. I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got- Sinead O’ Connor

5. Green- R.E.M.


♫♫♫

Special Thanks to: Pinoy Song Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment