Wednesday, May 4, 2011

THE PRINCES OF OPM


(JAY R, CHRISTIAN and MARK BAUTISTA)

Biblically, number seven (7) is a perfect number. Musically – in the entertainment print media, number 7 is a perfect number for this issue studded with perfect vocal bigwigs.

It’s a perfect number for your OPM Music Authority’s 7th Anniversary Issue.

Pinoy Song Magazine is blowing her seventh birthday cake together with the invited guests to serenade her birthday bash under party poppers and blithesome celebration – only and only here at the hefty pages of our magazine.

The burning torch of enthusiasm and ardor for our service has never faded since Pinoy dared paddled her canoe during her maiden voyage on the entertainment panorama. We never promised, though, to please everybody, considering our human contingencies – but rest assured – you’ll see fire in our eyes!

In our own little ways we are amenable to have given leeway for our local artists to be heralded to their fans and followers. We’ve made their voices heard as far as our words about them can nimbly be scribbled on our pages and our actions affect every fiber of the entertainment industry. It is made possible because of you receiving us at the rare end of the balance. We, therefore thank you from the bottom of our hearts. God bless you!

In this issue we fished out from the ocean of the OPM dept few of the crowned pearl voices who have stirred the waters of Filipino music to a different level. May we have the pleasure to serve on the golden platter the Prince of Soul – Jay R (Sillona III), the Asia’s Pop Idol Christian Bautista and the Pop Heartthrob Mark Bautista.

We thought of them as the Princes Of The OPM that charmed and helped in the metamorphosis of the OPM industry. They’re not to kiss a frog prince to make a magical transformation of anything else but to begin in themselves to give what they have and will have instead.

Gaudencio Aquino Sillona III, more commonly known as Jay R as his music metonym, is one of the sing and dance sensations of the local music industry. He is the man coupled with the coveted voice in his high-rated and best-selling cover album “Soul In Love.” He was the man who plights music in two different shores; since he was born in California and made his first spark of enthusiasm in that foreign land. He momentarily entertained being a Computer Engineering student before he carries the passion statement to where he is now.

Jay R has been into a lot of collaboration and performances to different places in the US. Nonetheless, he found himself sipping his cup of tea most of the time here in the Philippines. He speaks fluent Tagalog as an additional bit of him.

With no much further ado, next in the line of the triumvirate is Christian Joseph Morata Bautista, commonly known by his screen name as Christian Bautista. He is a Landscape Architect by academic profession and a singer, actor and product model by preoccupation. If you have been vigilant of how Christian Bautista trod the OPM highway, he was one of the finalists of the Star In A Million, a reality TV show conducted by one of the media giants in the Philippines, ABS-CBN. He took the fourth place after the big winner Erik Santos.

Being in the fourth place did not halted Christian from putting his best foot forward such as making his contract with Warner Music Philippines opening the floodgates of opportunity of hitting a multi-platinum album, fame and fortune. Embarking on his ship he made sails to distant shores. Christian’s hit song “The Way You Look At Me” harbored on Indonesia’s shorelines. It enjoyed numerous airplays on the radio stations in Indonesia where fans are thrilled of seeing him in person. Nonetheless, Christian never prolonged their agony – he showed up in that place and conquered their hearts to fonder.

Christian is off shore and is flagging down his songs to other Asian countries such as Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand.

Next to nexus Pinoy’s anniversary chain is Mark Bautista, known by the same birth name at the industry. His surname has nothing to do with that of Christian Bautista although they both have vocal prowess given them. Mark passed similar forging as Christian Bautista does. He won second to a grand winner in the reality TV search Star For A Night Sarah Geronimo.

Mark is rather shy during his cocoon years in Cagayan De Oro where he was born. He was awakened in a family where financial earning is a hard won reality. His father stopped working because of a bad physical condition. He has four siblings to deal with on his shoulder. With such lingering financial burden came his voice as a treasure chest to him and his family.

Mark started to shake-off inhibitions and start flapping his wings following the glory of his fate till he found himself bringing home the bacon for his loved ones. Mark won several oratorical competitions and bagged cash prices which then enabled him to respond to the demands of the daily bread of his family.

Mark also ventured to acting and hosting which added more spice to his brewing career. His acting stint as Lastik Man brought him a little louder to the senses of the masses together with his hosting career in Search for A Star In A Million (season 1 and 2). Mark is now with GMA-7 for a three year contract.


TAKE IT FROM THEM

Several times we see performers burst with power and energy during their performances. How I wish you’d see them at their unguarded moments shrugging their shoulders getting even with the little flare of energy left behind – as human beings they did exhaust their sinew both physical and emotional. When and where in the point of their life do they get the energy to once again get through the demands upon waking up out of bed?

“Definitely work 'coz that's my passion when I'm down. It's all about music. It's about expressing yourself through your creativity, through writing a song and through just singing out loud,” declares Jay R.

Christian Bautista credits his source of inspiration and will to power to his Divine Master, “It's always been God, whenever my situation is, sa kanya ako umaasa. He is my inspiration to do my best all the time.”

Mark on the other hand pulls his inspiration from his family, “naku ang dami. Unang-una 'yung family ko 'coz I support my family. Iniisip ko 'yung future ko kung ano 'yung mangyayari. Ayoko kasing mawala 'yung passion sa akin for music. So far 'yun”

Besides being the agent of seeking their own force to go ahead, they are at the forefront of directing their musical welfares. Most of them ride on the thought of creating their own quality music like the one that would hit shores to shores, talents after talents and souls to souls.

“My musical direction will be definitely original R&B music that is quality and will hit here in the Philippines and also in different territories that I can getting into,” attest Jay R

Christian explains his own thrust, “writing my own songs. Maybe experimenting on different kinds of music, collaborating with more international artists. And probably I can try on producing concerts or finding other talents of some sort.”

Mark ponders on the joy of penning his own songs and song for others too. “Sa bago kong album ngayon may mga compositions ako na ginawa. Nararamdaman ko na ang sarap magsulat ng songs. Gusto ko pang magsulat ng magsulat and hopefully makapagsulat rin ako para sa ibang artists.”

Just like anybody in the mantle of the earth they have fears in them in the industry like pouring your everything and it goes to limbo – much more if yourself gets against you and dramatically munch up your passions. I guess anybody would break down flat on the floor.

“My biggest fears is not accomplishing my goals. There are a lot of goals actually,” says Jay R.

Christian explains his fears of having his effort shut to nothingness, “I think when you've done everything but no one recognizes and appreciates it all. I'm not up for recognition but syempre kapag may ginagawa ka, gusto mo ma-appreciate ng ibang tao like your fans. Hopefully huwag mawala 'yung season na ganun pero kapag dumating na 'yung season na kahit ano na ang ginagawa mo tapos unti nalang 'yung nakaka-appreciate sa'yo, it's time to move on pero ayokong dumating nga d'un sa point na ganun.”

Mark fears of losing interest to his craft as it is being the bearer of his light to the humanity, “siguro 'yung fear ko na mawala ang passion sa craft ko. Sa akin kasi feeling ko 'yun iyong importante as an artist.”

Do you find covering songs easier or harder to do compared to creating your own music?

JAY R: I think it's easier to cover songs kasi meron ka nang basehan, ginawa na 'yung kanta, music at chords, kumbaga naka-set na lahat, it's all up to you to put your own style into it. Unlike when you're making your own song you have to think the music, melody, lyrics and the vibes. So it's a lot easier for me to do revival songs.
CHRISTIAN: Covering a song definitely because you don't need to think anymore. Maganda na siya, you just need ways para mas mapaganda at ma-improve pa siya. I'm not saying much better because nothing beats the original. But hopefully different in a way that you can add a flavor to show your versatility that the fans will really enjoy.
MARK: Alam mo sa panahon ngayon mas mahirap pa rin talagang mag create ng bagong music, ng bagong tunog at mag-introduce ng bagong tunog especially sa OPM kasi maraming kalaban. It is easier for me to sing covers. Mas may recall at mas familiar 'yung song. Like ngayon, may ginagawa akong album puro originals. Kailangan ko na rin kasi ng original songs na talagang tatak Mark Bautista.

What’s the worst headline you’ve read about yourself?

JAY R: The worst headline I've read about myself was a fan whom I get pregnant, ang tagal na nun.
CHRISTIAN: There's a lot actually; that I'm gay or may pamilya akong tinatago, may anak ako sa ibang babae tapos nagkamali ako sa national anthem (laughs).
MARK: Naku medyo marami na rin akong masamang headlines. Siguro 'yung about sexuality so far 'yun pa lang.

Nowadays it is almost an absolute necessity for singers to appear on variety of programs. Do you have any plans to appear on sitcoms, teleseryes, movies or shows?

JAY R: Right now kung bumalik 'yung Take Me Out, definitely I'll plan on that but right now, I am focusing more on my music instead of teleseryes and shows alike. Of course if something comes along but I like kasi a reality and game shows type. Kapag walang project, I'll focus on my music na lang muna.
CHRISTIAN: I had a couple already, now I had Your Song with Carmen Soo. I'm doing a movie now with Miss Regine Velasquez entitled “Mrs. Recto.” And I wanna do more acting projects in the future. I wanna cast in a 'smart thinking' movie that solve a crime size ala CSI.
MARK: Actually kage-guest ko lang sa isang sitcom. Meron akong movie with Regine and Aga, I'll be part of that and hopefully mailabas na. Siguro more on guestings muna.

Which style of music do you want to do in the future?
JAY R: Definitely I would like to invest in other genres if not, work with other artists as well. 'Yung R&B kasi there's a lot of styles; there's pop R&B, soul R&B. So in a way for me maybe I'll stick within the R&B rhum and as far as with different artists, I'm totally open working with alternatives, hip-hop and whatever comes along.
CHRISTIAN: I wanna experiment on a little R&B, a little rock para lang magkaroon ng ibang flavor 'yung mga ballads ng unti.
MARK: Siguro kung ano ang sinumulan ko, Ballad. Siguro I'll try also on different genres 'yung mas fast, and upbeat songs. I want to introduce a new Mark Bautista song that's fast and with a little bit of dance routine.

In the music field, which image do you want people to remember about Christian, Mark and JayR?
JAY R: I want to be remembered on my originality na kahit cover songs ang ginagawa ko parang I make it my own and I make my original music. I want them to remember me as the guy who produced and wrote hit songs.
CHRISTIAN: I want to remember me sa magagandang love songs na tagos sa puso.
MARK: Ako naman, I would still wanna be remembered as a balladeer kasi 'yun naman talaga ako. And at the same time an artist who can sing and dance.

Have you ever used your fame to your advantage, like getting a good table in a restaurant?

JAY R: It's inevitable that it's gonna be useless but not that I am using it to benefit from it. Parang dito sa Pilipinas automatic na 'yun, hindi ko ginagamit pero it comes to me. But given a situation that I have to use it I think I would, kasi medyo na- spoil na ako that I'm expected in a certain way that I'll be able to get a good sit in a restaurant or in a club for me.
CHRISTIAN: Kapag kailangan lang (smiles). Kapag emergency, gagamitin ko siya pero kung hindi naman gusto ko pa rin talagang maging normal.
MARK: Naku marami. 'Yung mga perks kapag celebrity ka VIP ka sa airport, sa gas station.

Do you feel like you’re living in a bit of a bubble? Can you enjoy any normal existence?
JAY R: Yeah, I'm not like the famous, famous stars like Gary V or Sharon Cuneta that they cannot go anywhere without mobbing. For me, sakto lang sa akin that I can go to a mall anytime and have a good time. There are instances that some people they wanna take pictures with me pero hindi naman dumog or something. I think I can enjoy pa naman.
CHRISTIAN: Kapag nasa showbiz ka na, it's not normal anymore. You just have to do your best to try to make it normal by connecting to your old roots; family, friends and mga taong totoo sa'yo. Anything that involves a lot of people or public places medyo mahirap na, you're not gonna do it normally. I appreciate when they recognize me but you cannot do some things as easy as before. I'm not saying it's hard pero ganun, iba na talaga.
MARK: Hindi naman. Ako naman p'wede akong maging normal na tao. Nagagawa ko pa rin naman 'yung mga gusto kong gawin it's just that limited lang din. Nakakapag-mall pa naman ako, nakakanuod pa naman ako ng sine.

Did you ever imagine, a few years ago, that your life was going to turn out this way? Was that your dream, or were you thinking of doing something else?
JAY R: Eversince I was a kid, I wanted to be a singer. And I always wanted to be in the showbiz-ness. Of course, there's a time when I'm growing up parang I felt like na hindi mangyayari 'yun but it always stick with me that this is what I wanted to do. So I think yes, I've seen myself in this position.
MARK: Ang dami ng beses na natanong 'yan sa akin. Kasi unang-una n'ung sumali ako sa contest hindi ko in-imagine na magiging recording artist ako or mapapasok ako sa showbiz. Talagang naniniwala pa rin ako na everything happens for a reason and in God's perfect time nangyayari lahat ng bagay.

If you could take away your fame for just one day, how would you spend that day?
JAY R: I would spend it with my family, my mom and dad, brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews, aunts and uncles.
CHRISTIAN: I'm going abroad or Paris maybe and then I'll just have a good time there.
MARK: Sa buhay ko naman everyday hindi naman hindrance sa akin kung anuman fame meron ako kasi unang- una kaya kong gawin ang ibang bagay na normal kahit sa normal na araw ko so hindi applicable sa akin iyan.

Introduce us to your latest single and anything new that we should be a lookout.
JAY R: My latest single is “Ikaw Lamang,” my second single still from Jay R Sings OPM Love Classics album and I have just finished recording a song in Bahasa, it's Indonesian and we also shot a music video of it. And we're gonna release it in Indonesia. Aside from that, I'm also working on original album but before that the Christmas album, I'm working on it since the holiday season is just around the corner, it's called the Holiday of Love, it's gonna came out again and also I wanna try to distribute it in Indonesia as well. So I hope it all happens.
CHRISTIAN: It's still “I Remember the Girl” out from my Romance Revisited: The Love Songs of Jose Mari Chan album and we shot our music video with Christine Reyes. So sana nagustuhan nila 'yun. It used to be Joey Albert's “I Remember The Boy” written by Jose Mari Chan. That's my 5th and last single from that album.
MARK: Mayroon akong album na tinatapos. Palabas pa lang 'yung album ko hindi ko pa alam kung ano 'yung first single pero sana abangan nila. May be this month or this year.


K-POP NEWS AND VIEWS

How do you feel about the K-pop invasion in the Philippines?

JAY R: It's very inspiring because there's a lot of different foreign music penetrating our music scene and it makes me think about Filipino music. It's very inspiring to see Christian Bautista making moves into other countries. I also want to try what they're doing.
CHRISTIAN: Okay naman, we should appreciate all types of music. Hindi naman dapat natin 'yun pigilan. Kung sa OPM, dapat mag-stepped up tayo so we can produce good and quality music that will appreciate by the listeners. I welcome it 'coz it gives new blood to the music industry at the same way it challenges the OPM na i-angat sa world standards 'yung music nila.
MARK: Nakaka-inspire kasi dati hindi naman tayo involved sa Korean Pop or hindi naman natin sila na-appreciate or never naman silang naging sikat dito. Tayo ang nagdo-dominate dito. Ngayon parang mas grabe 'yung perseverance and grabe 'yung pag-aaral nila para sa craft nila para ma-achieve nila 'yung ganyang kasikatan. Naging kilala sila dito. Nakaka-inspire bilang artists. Gusto ko ma-explore 'yung Korea or iba't-ibang bansa sa Asia at makilala rin 'yung mga Pinoy kasi kung kaya ng mga Koreans I'm sure kaya rin nating mga Pinoy. Hindi naman tayo nagpapatalo. Sana hindi ma-over power 'yung Philippine music - OPM.

Do you listen to korean music? Why and why not?
JAY R: No, actually I haven't come across any music as of now yet about korean music. I guess because I'm so busy with work and when I'm not working I'm still working, so there's no time to explore the listening pleasure of Korean pop.
CHRISTIAN: Hindi ko maintindihan eh (laughs). Aminin natin na ang Kpop ang fan base n'yan mostly babae talaga. I'll be watching Wondergirls or Girls' Generation kasi ang ganda-ganda nila plus their music is very catchy. I'm also happy with my collaboration with One Way. They're great guys and maybe we might work on some songs together in the future. So I appreciate it also.
MARK: Hindi kasi unang-una hindi ko naintindihan pero ang naalala ko 'yung Nobody ng Wondergirls. I also look up to Rain. Si Rain kasi nakarating sa Hollywood tapos siya 'yung parang Usher ng Korea at ang galing n'yang sumayaw. Napapanuod ko siya pero never talaga na lagi kong pinapakinggan 'yung music n'ya.

What do you think about their music?
JAY R: So far, all I heard is dance music and it's great. And people like it, it keeps them moving and start dancing. They have a nice beats.
CHRISTIAN: It's very fun, very catchy. It's perks you up, when you watch their music videos it's a multi-million videos. Bilib ako sa kanila.
MARK: Magagaling sila in terms of technical. Magaling silang gumawa ng music videos and I believe sobrang trained sila. Sobrang training ang ginawa nila para sa mga projects nila.

Any favorite Korean song?
JAY R: None at the moment.
CHRISTIAN: Right now, it's One Way 'coz I was able to work with them. May flavor sila ng R&B. I appreciate all kinds but nothing specific.
MARK: Wala.

What do you think about the Korean artists like Rain, 2ne1, Super Junior who's really big here?
JAY R: I'm very thankful to them because they serves as an inspiration to us musicians; to be more creative and be more original.
CHRISTIAN: Magaling sila sumayaw, kumanta at maganda 'yung mga music videos nila. Their music are very well produced and they're people to look up to.
MARK: Sabi ko nga si Rain ang galing n'ya kasi na-penetrate niya ang hollywood, nagkaroon siya ng movie at pangalan. 2NE1 na-appreciate ko sila kasi sa kabuuan kasi masipag sila at iba 'yung passion nila sa music na talagang naka-concentrate sila sa trabaho nila. I'm sure malaki ang influence sa kanila ng Western Music so sobrang pumapantay sila sa hollywood when it comes to music.

If you had to join a Kpop music group, what group would you like to join?
JAY R: Not probably with a group but given a chance I would like to collaborate with Rain. He has a very deep, and rich voice and amazing dancing skills. He is a good performer.
CHRISTIAN: I appreciate Kpop as a whole, nothing specific. I welcome them all.
MARK: I want to collaborate with Rain.

What kind of Korean “things” have you seen/heard of?
JAY R: I heard of Jin-Young Park, he produced some of Rain's first couple albums and he made “Nobody” by Wondergirls. I recorded my second album at his home in Hollywood. He became the first Asian producer to successfully cross over to the U.S. , producing music also for Will Smith, Mase and Cassie. So he's like a legend in Korea, he's nickname is JY. But yeah, just being in his house is inspiring 'coz it's like really big house on the Hollywood Hills that has a recording studio at the basement. I want to get into that level also that this korean guy doing music in Korea and you get so expense so much that he's able to buy a house in the Hollywood Hills which is millions of dollars.
MARK: Favorite ko talaga ang Korean food like kimchi. Gusto ko talaga 'yung food nila.

Did you have or bought any korean album?
JAY R: No, but I would love to listen to Rain's album.
CHRISTIAN: It's One Way 'coz we had a collaboration together.

What do you think about the Korean artists coming over? Do you think you have an edge over them?
JAY R: I don't think I have an edge over them, we actually have different styles. You can't really compared their edge over mine. They got their own genre and own market. It's like, if you gonna thrown my music into their genre, it's not gonna make sense 'coz it's pretty much different. So I don't think I have an edge over them.
CHRISTIAN: I appreciate the 'wave' na pumapasok ngayon. Let's welcome all kinds of music, let's do our best in every genre where in. So I'm encouraging the OPM to grow and level up to produce good and quality music kasi kayang-kaya rin naman natin. Hindi natin mapipilit ang fans na 'uy kami naman ang pakinggan n'yo.' Kailangan gumawa tayo talaga ng mga magagandang kanta para ma-appreciate nila. I think it's time for everyone to starts doing originals. I think we Filipinos has a lot of potentials, a lot of different flavors to offer so I encourage them including myself for the next projects, mag-original na tayong lahat.
MARK: Well may edge ako sa kanila kasi Pinoy ako. Iba pa rin ang Pinoy music and it will stay forever. May tiwala ako sa OPM.

For Christian, what was is like being an opening act for Rain during his recently successful concert here?
I was very nervous to be a front act in any concerts, nakakakaba palagi. N'ung nag-perform ako and na-appreciate naman nila 'yung songs ko, natuwa ako. 'Yung nakuha kong girl sa stage, korean pala and na-appreciate n'ya 'yung “Beautiful Girl” and he kissed me. So talagang natuwa ako. Then when I left, their clapping and applauding. And I'm really thankful sa mga kpop fans for accepting me that night, very thankful and hopefully I could collaborate more with other Korean artists also.

If you're given a chance to have a collaboration with any kpop artists who will it be? Why?

CHRISTIAN: I would like to collaborate with Rain, One Way, Super Junior or Ukiss. Kung babagay lang din mahirap din naman ipilit. Kasi collaborations pave way for both.


HOLIDAY FEVER

Favorite Christmas carol?
JAY R: My favorite Christmas carol would be “White Christmas.”
CHRISTIAN: Of course, “Christmas in our Hearts” by Jose Mari Chan. It is the best-selling, best-loved Christmas duet of all time.
MARK: “White Christmas.” Gusto ko 'yung melody. Malungkot na song pero hopeful.

Favorite Christmas memory?
JAY R: My favorite Christmas memory will be last year when I took my whole family to Big Mountain when it was snowing and we shot a music video for my Christmas album. My whole concept is about family; I gathered my whole family, they had all makeup, clothes, we setup the lights and my entire family dances, we're having dinner and I'm taking pictures. Basta, it was a good family bonding experience to shoot three music videos with them.
CHRISTIAN: Every Christmas I have a new Christmas memory. We're always with my whole family clan, laging masaya , kwentuhan, we're like 30 people celebrating the Christmas; different cousins, unties, titas, ninangs and lolas. They're all there.
MARK: Actually n'ung bata pa ako 'yung nagka-caroling kami sa mga bahay-bahay, hinahabol ka ng aso, binibigyan ka ng limang piso. Sobrang saya sana maulit 'yung time na iyon. 'Yung experience na 'yun hindi ko makakalimutan.

What does your family do?
JAY R: The same as any normal family do; we open gifts, we had dinner and we pray. We just spent time together, love and appreciate each other.
CHRISTIAN: We're celebrating it at Cavite. Lahat kami kumakain, nagga-games, kumakanta, sumasayaw..masaya lagi. Ako, mas nagbibigay na ako ng regalo ngayon, kahit embrace na lang okay na sa akin. Pero kung gusto nilang magbigay ng regalo wala rin problema pero mas nasa mode ako na kailangan ako naman ang magbigay sa dami ng blessings na natanggap ko.
MARK: Hindi nawawala sa amin 'yung handaan. Lahat ng kamag-anak nagsasama-sama sa isang bahay. May bunutan at exchange gift.

What do you think of Christmas in general?
JAY R: I love the Christmas holiday, it gives you a warmth feeling especially when you're a kid that's what you look forward to in a year yung pagbubukas ng mga regalo, 'yung kainan, basta yung vibes ng Christmas lang ang hinihintay mo when you're a kid. Eversince you're a kid you just had a good feeling when Christmas comes around.
CHRISTIAN: Christmas is a time to really remember that it's the birth of Christ. Then it's a time to love people around you because God's love us first, that's my core of Christmas.
MARK: Alam naman natin na 'yung spirit of Christmas about love and birth Christ. Ito 'yung time na happy lahat at excited parang nakakalimutan mo lahat. Happiness, love, sharing, being generous. Kahit wala kang pera kailangang magbigay ka. Happy ka kasi nakapagbigay ka ang sarap na ng feeling.

What are you looking forward to in 2011?
JAY R: Definitely my new album is coming out, my original album and doing music videos. As always I wanna focus on my music in 2011. Any major concerts? P'wede din but before any major concerts I just got to have a hit song again. There's a couple of out of the country shows but there's no fix schedules because usually they usually come and go like this year, every month from January I'm going back in forth to the States so it's been a good year.
CHRISTIAN: Hopefully more acting projects, a hit mostly original songs album and more collaboration with different artists.
MARK: Probably, magka-teleserye ako and movie. A major concert next year. Hopefully magtuluy-tuloy 'yung shows abroad and sana magkaroon ako ng solo show abroad.


♫♫♫

Especial thanks to: Pinoy Song Magazine


No comments:

Post a Comment